Chapter 28: Just give me a reason

Before I start off this chapter I just want to give you guys an unbelievable thank you for all the kind messages and unshaking support you guys have given me these past few days, the whole situation with my girlfriend isn't quite over yet but we're definitely going to make it through this stronger than ever.
Thank you so much to every single one of you, and I don't want to bore you with my blubbering so I'm just gonna go ahead and let you read the chapter now.

*(Y/N)'s P.O.V*

The warmth of the fire on my front.

The warmth of Cry's chest against my back, none of it was quite enough to stop the unrelenting shivering that ran through me.

His warm arms tightened around me as I pulled Felix's jacket closer around my shoulders, I pursed my lips in a vain attempt to stop my teeth from chattering. The fact that the sun was falling wasn't helping me rise my body temperature.

"C-Cry" I chattered, my lips a deep blue, proving how cold I actually was.

"You're still so cold, Dan found a foil blanket in the first aid kit of the other car if you want it" he suggested.

I shook my head slowly, my body so weak that my damp hair only seemed to weigh me down. My muscles aching and tired, my hands red and raw from pulling on the seat belt desperately and my chest burning for the breath I was still trying to recover.

"I need to see Devon" I whispered, I could feel Cry tense behind me at my words "why? Why would you want to see him after all of that?".

"I need to know why, why he would do that, why he would try to kill us"

"Because you were right (Y/N), you were right about him all this time, he's a bad guy, he's not trust worthy and we should never had let him in our group"

I let out a light sigh "I know that, but there's a better reason than that, I want a proper reason, I just want to know why, please?".

I glanced at the male over my shoulder, noticing the way he bit his bottom lip as he tossed the idea around in his head. He was still unsure, still didn't want me to face the man that almost cost me my death.

With a deep sigh, Cry dropped his head and gave a slow nod "alright, I can see how much this means to you, but I have to be there with you, alright? No way are you going to face him alone".

I nodded eagerly, I had no complaints with that condition. Cry slowly stood up and held out his hands to help me up; I grasped his hands tightly as he slowly tugged me onto my feet. My knees buckles under my weight slightly, but Cry was quick to grasp my elbows and keep my upright.

Wrapping an arm around my waist and slinging my arm over his shoulders, he allowed me to rest my weight against him as he walked me towards the opening over the forest where the other's had dragged Devon.

We walked only a little while, passing a few members from the group on the way. Until we soon came upon where they had been keeping Devon. The male sat against a tree, tied to it with a rope around his torso.

Cole stood glaring at the male with his arms crossed, making sure he didn't escape, and no walkers decided to come for an easy meal.

I slipped out of Cry's grip despite his protests, and placed my hand on Cole's bicep as though giving a silent command to back down. Understanding the gesture, the red head dropped his arms to his sides and stepped back to take his place beside Cry.

I took shaky steps towards Devon, before I slowly knelt down in front of him. The male lifted his lowered head to look at me, his expression was unreadable.

"Just give me a reason, Devon. Why? Why did you try to kill us?" I whispered, I didn't trust my voice not to tremble if I rose my voice, so quiet is how it had to be. The corners of his lips tugged up and his shook his head with a light chuckle.

"You don't get it do you?" he gave a light scoff "I was doing you a favour".

My eyes widened slightly in shock at his words "going to the CIA HQ? Are you serious? There's no HQ left! There is nothing but death now! Just walking dead people killing people who have given up on living!" he spat, his eyes furrowed in anger.

"I was going to end your suffering, and everyone else while I was at it! Then I would've outed myself, that's what I was trying to do that day when you found me, you should've just left me to die. I don't want to be here anymore, I don't want to have to take this anymore. I've lost everything! I've lost everyone! There's just no point! This blind hope you have, is the only thing you have, and when that runs out? Then what?".

He gave a light pant "I was helping prevent any future pain, I was saving you from turning you into one of those things! It's best if we all die, isn't it? No more pain, no more fear, no more us! No more anythi--"

I cut him off abruptly with a harsh slap to his cheek, his head turning to the side at the force of impact.

"That is not for you to decide" I panted lightly, the slap taking more energy than I could muster.

"(Y/N)--" Cry stepped forward, only to be held back by Cole's hand on his shoulder and my voice picking up slightly.

"Don't you think I know that there's no hope? Don't you think that I've lost people too? But what other choice do we have? Are all of us just supposed to roll over and give up? Let those things have us? Because I won't be taken so easily."

"I know that our chances are slim, I know that there probably isn't going to be a living person in that building, I know that our whole journey might mean nothing in the end. But what the hell are we if we don't try?!" I held out my arms and tilted my head back to look up at the sky that peeked out above the trees.

"Last time I checked, this world was ours, ours, the living's. And I'll be damned if I sit back and let those Walkers take it from us. Who's to say we win? I don't know. But I'd rather try knowing there's only a small chance that we win, rather than give up before we know what the outcome will be. After all we've done, after how far we've come, don't you think we deserve that much?".

I dropped my arms and slowly rose to stand "it's you who doesn't get it, Devon. We're not going to give up, that's all we have now. Our hope".