Chapter 42: Stressed out

The walk was silent, from leaving Roy and Chris until now, a few hours later. People seemed to be afraid to say something, noticing the tense stiffness in my shoulders.

I was grateful, this is probably what I needed most, spending a moment to have my thoughts to myself. To think about things, to try and swallow the light twinge of regret I felt. I had never been that cold, that spiteful to anything or anything in my life.

But to protect my friends, no- to protect my family, I did what I had to. I make up for the pain and fear he had put us through.

I felt shame, not only shame for the harsh words I had said, but shame knowing that I might never be able to go through what I had said. I wouldn't be able to shoot him, I wouldn't be able to leave him there to suffer.

No matter what he may have done to me.

And I hate it. I hate the weakness knowing that I'm not to kind of person to do something like that. I hate knowing that I need to be to be able to survive in a world like this.

I was ashamed by my smug bravery to threaten them like that.

I was ashamed by my own weakness knowing that it's something I could ever, or would ever do.

My stomach churned unpleasantly and I had to pause, taking a deep breath as I wavered on my feet. The hushed whispered came to a stop as did they sound of their footsteps behind me.

"(Y/N)?" came Cole's worried voice.

Cole, such a sweetheart.

"You look pale" Cry mumbled soon after.

Cry, so kind.

So many compliments could be given to all of the people around me, to the amazing people that accepted me as their friend, as their family. Protected me and let me protect them, my stomach turned as the image of their bodies lying on the floor.

Bloodied, torn apart, body parts missing, teeth marks littering their skin.

I toppled over, and with a hunched back, I felt the burning in my throat as I emptied what little food I had into my system onto the floor.

My hand came to rest on my stomach as the other's hurried forward, my hair was held back by gentle hands, concerned voices rang through my ears, equally gentle hands rubbing my back to ease me.

My knees buckled beneath me, just before I could collapse to the floor, the airs gently soothing me grasped my arms tightly, keeping me still and upright.

I panted heavily, eyes squeezing closed, vomit induced tears dripping onto the floor as I took a shuddering breaths, spitting on the floor to rid the sour taste out of my mouth. 

I hesitantly rose to stand up properly, gulping with a flinch at the rubbing we caused "does anyone have any water?" Cole called out.

They didn't. Of course they wouldn't, our first priority was weapons to protect ourselves when we escaped. Not food and water, I looked around and with a hoarse voice, I spoke up "there are houses not far from here, they might have supplies, all the walkers are at that place, it should be clear".

Cole nodded "lead the way" he mumbled, I took a deep breath and took a step forward. Testing whether or not the shakiness had passed, I could.

The others stayed close as I lead them to the street of houses, making sure I didn't end up puking or collapse again.

It took longer than I had anticipated, but soon, we were in an area that I managed to recognize, I lifted my hand to point "they're over there". Surely enough, in the distance, white picket fences could be seen, the houses behind them.

"They look pretty safe, we might be able to stop here for a night or two" Cry mumbled, coming up to stand by my side.

Cole let out a hum of agreement, coming up to stand by my other side, arms crossed over his chest.

"I can't see any walkers from here either" Mark perked up, hands over his eyes, brows eyes narrowed behind his smudged glasses to try and see further. This, obviously, didn't work.

"Well the only way we can find out, is if we go have a look right?" Nova perked up "I don't like that idea" Phil mumbled, taking a step back.

"Nope, nope, nopety, nope, nope, nope" Dan added, 'p's popping on every word.

"(Y/N)'s under the weather, we don't have much of a choice at this point, we need resources, we have to" Minx sighed, obviously she didn't much like the idea either, but she was right, we don't have a choice.

Krism took her hand tightly, easing her worries in the slightest, but even so, it wasn't much. With a deep breath, we began to make our way towards the line of houses.

My steps were growing firmer, strength returning to my legs. And soon, we were making decent pace towards the houses, everything was silent, it looked safe, it looked fine.

And after roughly 15 minutes of walking, we stopped with light pants just before the houses. The streets were empty, it was safe so far.

I pointed to the house with the open door, familiar "don't go in there, if there's a walker, it's in there" I mumbled.

"We'll split up into groups and search the houses, no one goes alone" Cole spoke up, looking over at the group.

Groups of 4 were chosen, my group consisted of myself, Cole, Cry and Felix.

With wishes of good luck and safety, we headed off into different houses, slapping on the door and waiting to hear any noises.

When no response came, the door was either pushed open or kicked open. Stepping inside with weapons raised, we looked around cautiously.

Separating inside the house to make sure it was 100% safe, it didn't take long for Felix's voice to ring through the house.

"Uh guys..you should really come see this"