Chapter 21: Make it out alive

*(Y/N)'s P.O.V*

The fire licked at my heels as I tried to pump my legs as fast as I could, not only the burning sensation in my thighs from the exercise but the heat spreading quickly around me shot adrenaline through my veins.

I let out a growl like pant as I coughed my nose and mouth hidden in the crook of my arm as my lungs began to fill with smoke. I could hardly see a hand in front of me, the groaning hisses of the walkers behind me growing faints as they burnt. The smelling of incinerated flesh hit my nose causing me to gag.

I could see a light through the smoke, a clearing, an opening from the burning forest. Only one question stood, would I get there fast enough?

*Cry's P.O.V*

We had made it into an empty road, leaves scattered the cracked ground as did abandoned cars. I panted, leaning over to rest my hands on my knees as we had made it out. "There's so sign of (Y/N)" Cole mumbled as he tried to see through the endless amount of trees.

I stopped, standing straight and sniffing the air "do you smell that? Is that-- smoke?", surely enough dark grey smoke lifted from the forest and into the air "Isn't that where our camp was?" Devil questioned as he walked up behind me.

"You don't think--" "(Y/N) set fire to the woods so we could escape" Mark gasped taking a tentative step towards the edge of the woods.

We could see the faint orange glow of the fire as it made it's way towards us, I coughed as I ushered the other's back "don't get close to the fire". I stood in front of them, eyes narrowed as I looked through the holes of the mask "come on (Y/N), come on" I whispered. I tapped my fingers against my thighs anxiously.

"I think I see something!" Pewds exclaimed jumping up and gripping my shoulder, his chest pressed against my back as he pointed ahead of me. Surely enough, through the smoke was a silhouette, a girl. A girl running. (Y/N).

Without any hesitation I broke out into a sprint towards her "Cry! What the hell are you doing?!" Cole attempted to run after me but the other's held him back. My mask acting as somewhat of a ventilation system, I pushed branches and leaves out of my way.

(Y/N) was growing slower, coughing and sputtering. She was running out of time, I clenched my jaw and pumped my legs harder "(Y/N)!" I yelled. The fire was right behind her, spreading and catching, if she slowed down she would be consumed.

"Cry?!" she called back, soon enough I had reached her side "what are you doing here? I told you to run!" she coughed. "Screw that (Y/N), I'm getting you out of here".

*(Y/N)'s P.O.V*

My eyes waters as they burned from the smoke, to see Cry here. Now. Caused my heart to twang, I wasn't going to die after all. He gripped my wrist tightly and pulled me towards the opening, further and further from the fires grasp.

When we just about reached the edge of the forest he pushed me forward roughly and straight into Cole's arms as he jumped, the fire consumed the forest. We had barely made it out alive, Cole dragged me away from the woods edge, sitting me down in the middle of the empty road. The man instantly began scanning for my injuries.

He let out a sigh of relief "luckily the burns are only minor, they should heal quickly. You're lucky", coughing I glanced up at Cry, he was sitting on his rear, legs propped up and arms behind him, panting heavily "why-- why did you come after me?".

He moved his head towards me "I'm not going to let you die, not after all we've been through" he replied, brushing the hair from his mask. The fire was eating away at the forest and therefore, the walkers inside. I gulped as I watched the others fuss over not only myself but Cry for injuries and questions.

A pair of dusty boots stopped in front of my vision, I rose a brow and glanced up at the owner. Of course, Devlin. I sighed "well sweet cheeks, you certainly take smoking hot to a whole other level", he grinned. I rolled my eyes "go away Devlin, I'm not in the mood". Cole was currently wrapping gauze around my thighs for my burns.

"Hey now, I'm just expressing gratitude to our saviour" he held his hands up in defence, Cole sighed and shook his head as he continued attending to my injuries "how was it back there by the way? Was it scary? Did you lose hope?".

"Devlin" Cole growled warningly, I placed my hand on the male's shoulder and sent him a smile "It's Okay Cole, I can handle this". I glared up at the brunette "why don't you go suck on a rock and maybe then your tongue will be sharper".

The male snickered "spicy, I like it. I was surprised when you made it out you know, you don't look very strong. You ran pretty fast for such little legs, I'm shocked you didn't die--" Cole jumped up, turning towards Devlin, he pulled back his hands with a large force connected his fist with Devlin's jaw.

Devlin stumbled back, gripping his jaw and groaning in pain. The other's rushed over, Cole panted "never...talk to her like that...ever again". Cole wiped the sweat from his brow before kneeling down and attending to my wounds once again.

The injured Devlin, huffed as he made sure his jaw wasn't broken "fine", he turned on his back towards an abandoned car. I blinked in shock but smiled down at Cole "thank you for doing that", the male shook his head "nonsense miss (Y/N), you don't deserve that kind of treatment after everything you've done for us. I only did what was right".

I glanced up and at Devlin, who knows if he'd ever let this go.