Chapter 51: What needed to be done

My blood ran cold. Hard shudders rocking down my body as my hairs stood on end, my stomach turned, throat tightening  I resisted the urge to gag. The image of Krism lying dead on the floor, bullet wound in the centre of her forehead - smoking gun in my hand was enough to fill me with the desire to vomit.

"You want me to what?"

The back of my throat burned as I forced the words out of my mouth. "Please (Y/n)" her voice was shaky, thick with tears and heavy with desperation. I

"You're the only one I can ask" she whispered.

"I was a stranger to you not a few months ago, those guys have their lives displayed to the public, you know them way better than you know me" I reasoned.

"I know the personalities they show on the internet, not them, not really. But you, you've been real with us, you haven't lied, or pretended to be someone else. Hell- you saved our lives, in more ways than one, I can't-" she took a deep breath "I can't ask Minx to do this, I just can't".

"Why are you asking me to do this, Krism? What makes you think I'm strong enough?" my voice caught in my throat, an easy representation of how weak I felt in that moment.

"You're one of the strongest people I know. You break and you fall but you always, always get back up again. You fight and you keep on fighting and if that's not what being strong is all about, then I don't know what is" she whispered, giggling to herself quietly.

Krism quickly broke off into coughing fit, even muffled through the thickness of the door, it was easy to hear the nasty effect it had on her.

"I can't keep going on like this, (Y/n)" when she had spoken again, her voice was winded, weak and raspy. The cough had taken it's toll on her, her breathing hard and rigorous.

"I'm in so much pain".

My heart broke at her words, but I knew. Of course I knew, we all did, how could we not? It was clear on her face when we had caught a glimpse of her before locking her up like some kind of animal. An animal which she would soon turn into.

"Minx wants me to live, she wants me to fight it, but I can't (Y/n). It's a disease, it's horrible, and it's devastating but it's still a disease and I can't just will it away. I don't want to become one of those things, I don't want Minx's last memories of me something like this. I don't even want her to know. She was happy when she left, she was laughing, that's how I want to be rememberd, making her laugh like that."

I gulped, eyes falling closed I leaned my head back against the door.

"There's no changing your mind, is there?" I whispered quietly, hand slowly reaching behind me to grasp the handle of the gun tucked into my pants.

"No, there's no changing my mind" she whispered.

"For you, I'll do it for you" I whispered, "I don't want you to be in pain any longer".

"Thank you, (Y/n). Even though we haven't known each other for very long" she paused to inhale deeply "you're one of the best friends I've ever had".

The gun slipped from the tight confines of the waist band of my jeans "open the letter plate" I whispered. Following my weak orders, I heard the quiet squeak of metal as she did as told. Turned to face the door, I gulped as I slowly opened the outside flap.

The nozzle of the gun slipped through the hole, passing through the solid wooden door until it came to an abrupt stop with the back of Krism's head.