Chapter 40: Freedom

*(Y/N)'s P.O.V*

"Anyone who can! Try and get the door open, I'll help hold off the walkers, we need to hurry" the gun dropped from my hands, useless to me now. Ohm handed his plank of wood over to me, various nails, broken and rusty poked out intimidatingly.

He sent me and nod and the masked male hurriedly rushed off to help open the door, I took a deep breath and joined the others. I dodged the swinging arms of an oncoming walker, letting out a grunt as I side stepped, causing the walker to  stumble.

Taking advantage of it's lack of balance, I swung my plank, sending the nails sinking right into the back of it's skull, piercing the bone and penetrating the brain, instant death.

I placed my boot on the walker's back, huffing as I struggled to pull the plank back out of it's skull.

"Look out!" there came a sudden cry as I was shoved to the side, I let out a loud yelp as the tip of my shoe caught on the walker, sending me tumbling to the ground, I quickly rolled over, eyes wide as I looked up at whoever had shoved me.

It was Dan, currently hitting a walker over the head with the stand of a lamp. His chest heaved with every pant he let out and he held out a clammy hand for me "sorry, I had to get you out of the way".

I shook my head and took his hand "thanks" I mumbled gratefully, brushing myself off. I jumped, clutching Dan's hand tighter as a loud bang sounded "the door's open!" came Cole's loud call soon after.

I let out a sigh of relief and pulled my hand out of the Brit's grip "come on everyone, we need to get out of here!" I called out "forget the walkers, we can't fight them all, we need to go".

Making sure no one remained in the room, I hurriedly slipped outside just as a walker reached out for me, slamming the door closed "run, go!".

I pushed at Phil's back, the last in line to follow after the rest of the group, I was quickly on his tail, panting heavily as Cole lead the group, trying his best to find us a way out.

I could hear the faint sounds of the walkers clawing on the doors to try and find their way out. I could hear Cole yelling directions from the front, his fingertips trailing along the right hand wall as he ran.

"Oh my god..." I could hear Krism whisper shakily, and as I pushed through the group to see what the commotion was and why every had stopped dead.

The guards, ones who laughed in our faces when they locked us up. Ones who had pushed us through the walls roughly, ones with the mocking remarks and humiliating comments.

They lay against the walls, eyes wide with horror and lips parted as though mid scream, their own blood stained the walls, stretching up as high as their brow bones of the gaping wounds on their stomachs.

Walkers were eagerly stuffing their faces with the guards' lower intestines, so absorbed in their fresh meal that they had barely noticed us. Nova and a few others stepped forwards, their planks and lamps still in hand, quickly dealing with the eating walkers.

"Take their guns" Cry mumbled, looking down at the guards in pity, even if they had been cruel. No one deserved this kind of fate. Cole, Cry, Felix and Ohm had taken the rifles and shot guns. The rest of us picking up the hand guns that were strapped to their hips, we needed to get out of here before they turned.

Luckily the door was just ahead, it seems the guards had gotten caught during their escape, most of the walkers would could see just a little ways to the right, climbing into the room we had been locked in.

Creeping silently, we made sure we made as little noise as possible as we grew further and further from the building.

Our tension only lowered when we were sure that we were out of the walkers hearing and sight and smell range.

"Fresh air!" Felix exclaimed, spreading out his arms and tipping his head back, taking in a deep breath. I looked my gaze to ground and clenched my jaw until I felt a gentle hand on my shoulder "don't blame yourself, it wasn't your fault" Cry mumbled quietly.

"I was an idiot, I thought--" I  bit my lip "I put all of us in danger, it's all my fault". His other hand gripped my shoulders firmly, my head raising slowly too look up at him.

His mask was broken, a jagged chin missing, from the corner of his lip just up to the corner of his right eye, revealing part of his cheek. "If you hadn't agreed to it, we might've never met up with the rest of the group. We got out, we're safe and that's all that matters".

Tugging my forward gently, I stepped into him and wrapped my arms around his waist as his came to wind around my shoulders. His chin resting atop my head.

"Did we miss something?" I could hear Mark's whisper before a quiet "oof" as Jack, elbowed him in the side to quiet him down and watch the scene unfold.

Ignoring the quiet murmuring of our group around  us, I closed my eyes and did my best to focus on the warmth and comfort Cry provided.

We were free now.

That's all that matters.