Chapter 8: Friend or Foe?

WARNING: TRIGGERING EVENTS IN THIS CHAPTER

*(Y/N)'s P.O.V*

We continued down the road, taking out walkers that were an inconvenience leaving the ones that weren't a problem to us, alone. We were walking down a road seemingly in the middle of nowhere, we were contemplating turning back and heading to the city but the journey would be such a pain.

I could see building in the distance, skyscrapers and abandoned cars, traffic lights that didn't work anymore. To the side of the road was a large green sign, written on it was "Welcome to Oblivion" (I just made it up, if a place called Ablivion exists it's just a coinky dink).

Strangely enough I had never heard of this place before, well there's the saying fading into Oblivion but I never knew it was a real place. This city looked like it had been abandoned for years, not in the week that the apocalypse started. Glancing at each other we took a deep breath and stepped in the city perimeters.

As soon as we stepped in I heard the sound of a gun cocking and something cool pressed to the back of my head. Multiple people came out from behind buildings and cars all holding guns of their own.

There was a person behind me holding a gun to my head and a person behind Cry holding a gun to their head. We gulped, I dropped the shotgun to the ground and rose my hands. Cry did the same, I felt a hard blow to the back of my head and I fell forward, unconscious.

~Timeskip~

My head ached horribly, my arms ached as I could feel them tied by a rough rope which scratched into my arms. I blinked open my eyes trying to ignore the pounding in my head, the room I was in was dark.

As my eyes got adjusted I tried to search for my masked friend "Cry?" I called, no reply "Cry?" I called again slightly louder this time. The door swung open flooding light into the room, in stepped a man in his late forties.

With hair buzz cut and a moustache sitting on his upper lip he walked closer. His shirt was a dark green which was tucked into camouflage trousers, he wore combat boots. An army outfit. His hair was ginger and his eyes were green, he did not look happy.

He crouched in front of me "come on, I'll take you to your friend" a Southern accent was clear in his voice. He gripped onto my upper arm to assist me and walked me down a corridor until we stopped at a closed door.

The man pushed the door open and sitting in a chair with his hands tied behind his back was Cry. Surprisingly they let him keep his mask on "(Y/N)!" he gasped. Standing next to him was a woman in her mid twenties most likely.

She too wore camouflage trousers, and combat boots. She wore a tank top of lime green which was tucked into her trousers. Her hair was blonde, but brown at the roots tucked into a very messy pony tail. The woman wore black fingerless gloves then reached her wrists.

In her hand was a pistol which she aimed at Cry's head "sit her down" she instructed. The ginger sat me down in a chair next to Cry tying my hands behind the back of the chair. The woman stood in front of us "my name is Janice, this here is Cole. Don't worry we don't want to hurt you but we will if we have too".

Judging my her accent I'd guess she was from parts around California, Cole stood behind her arms crossed the same blank yet stern impression on his face. I scoffed at her words "and that's why our first encounter you knocked me out" she glared at me "I was taking precautions" "what? You think two people with a shotgun, a pistol and baseball can match up against all the people you had" Janice shrugged.

She tucked her gun in between her back and her trousers before she stepped closer. Janice began to walk in circles around us, analyzing us "listen, we're not the enemy-" "could've fooled me" I muttered.

Janice took a deep sigh "we are not the enemy, the dead are. We are the living, we need to stand together! To thrive!" I winced as I struggled against my bindings which cut deeper into my skin. Cry was being unusually quiet "get this rope off and maybe I'll consider hearing you out".

Janice nodded to Cole who stepped forward which a Swiss army knife and cut through the rope on both Cry's and my hands. I let out a breath of relief and gently caressed my bleeding wrists.

Cry cleared his throat and all attention was drawn to him "you knock us out, kidnap us, you hurt my friend and expect us to stay here and be good little lap dogs for you?" he asked. Janice walked over to him and crouched in font of him "I'm not asking you to be soldiers that will answer to everything I say, I'm asking you to give humanity a slightly larger percentage or survival by joining us".

I stood "and if we refuse?" Janice grinned and walked over standing close "then we let you go". I cocked a brow "and how will we know you'll keep your word?" I questioned.

Janice rose her brows and stepped to the side giving both me and Cry clear view of Cole. He held out his arm for us to see and ball his hand into a fist. I could see scars of what appeared to be writing all over his arm though I couldn't make out what they said.

Pulling his army knife from his pocket he flipped it open and pressed the blade to his skin. I watched in horror as he carved in an 'I' he grunted in pain and then carried on 'S' the edges were ragged and sharp as he couldn't make curves with the knife.

I ran over and knocked the knife out of his hand pulling off the over shirt I had on and placing it on the wound. Cole stared down at me in shock "what are you doing? Does she ask you to do this?" I whispered to him. Cole nodded "you don't have to go through this" Janice stepped up "what are you doing? Cole, continue".

The large man hesitated before leaning down to take his knife, I grabbed his arm that reached for the knife "no! Don't hurt yourself just 'cause she asked you too!". Janice had her hands balled at her sides "Cole" she said in a warning tone.

Cole looked between me and Janice, who will he pick? Friend or Foe?