Chapter One - Confusion

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈

You think about Tyler a lot: you never wanted to be with him, but that jealousy always lingers. You used to be his favourite, but it constantly feels like you are on the sidelines now. You know you should not be so over-protective, but it's incredibly challenging for you to stop. Your whole life you've been the extremely protective person: you don't want to lose anybody else again. Those corrupting thoughts relapse.

You are interrupted by a loud buzz - your phone was rested next to you before it awoken. It takes you time to process what happened, before you lift the white-cased phone up. The bright lockscreen of you and Tyler as kids flashes onto your face, illuminating the area around you. Your bedroom was almost pitch black before you picked your phone up, even though your clock flashed 11:17am. You're shocked. It's a text message, and not just random Discord ping.

{Tyler}: Hey Y/N!! I'm doing a big meet up with my mates in a couple of days, wanna come??

You stare at the message, taking in every single letter. You've never involved yourself in his career, you've never spoken to anybody in that friend group, and he knows that. So, why? Why you, of all people? Can he read your mind? Is it obvious that you feel left out? Whatever the reason is, you refuse to pass this opportunity. Swiping open your phone, you type out a quick message: 'Hi Tyler!! I would love to come, what's the plan?'. You quickly delete the words - you knew that was way too forward, so you decided to send a less-obsessive message.

{Y/N}: hi tyler, when is it happening? i can see if i can come.

As you're content with the sent text, you place your phone back down, while rising out of bed and drawing the curtains. If it's anytime soon, you're gonna have to get ready. You never know. Before starting anything, you run down stairs, heading for the kitchen. Opening the fridge, you grab a glass and fill it with a fresh cartoon of apple juice. The thoughts of meeting his friends echoes in your brain. Will they like you? Are they similar to Tyler, or are they completely different? Why has he invited you, of all people, of all of his friends?

You glance at the calendar pinned to the wall, it's clear that it is the 18th of April, as all the dates before have been crossed off in a range of pen colours: whatever you find first. There isn't anything on your calendar for the rest of the month, making you hope that the meetup is soon. You quickly notice while staring into space that you're still in last night's clothes, and your hair is all in a mess. Running back upstairs, you hear the loud buzz again, the one which disrupts the patronising thoughts. You reach your phone and press the button, for that image to blast onto your face once more. 2 text messages.

{Tyler}: The others are getting here on the 20th, but I can come pick you up today or tomorrow? We have a spare room waiting for you at mine if you can.

{Tyler}: Don't feel pressured though, Y/N! You've never met them, and I know you have social anxiety. It's whatever you want.

Tyler has always been a double texter, you're surprised his first message wasn't a double text. He just forgets to put things in the first message, so he needs to send a second. You've never minded however, you always enjoy receiving texts from him, even at the worst convenience. You don't really text each other much, and you've not seen each other in person for years, but when you do, it feels like you've never been apart. Bursting out of (yet again) another daydream, you start typing.

{Y/N}: oh maybe later today? how many days will it be for? and i'll come i guess, no harm can be done

However, lots of harm can be done, you just don't want him to know that. You re-read the messages before pulling a suitcase out from under your bed, and zip it open. 'We have a spare room waiting for you at mine'? He really thought about that? He thought about you? You're excited over the bare minimum, it feels pathetic to you. You slowly start grabbing stuff to shove into your suitcase, when the same buzz erupts once again.

{Tyler}: It's PAX East, 21st-24th or April, if you know what that is, but you can stay at mine for as long as you want. Hint: pack your pufferfish ;)

'My Pufferfish? The gift from you when I graduated?'

{Tyler}: I know for certain you still have it.

He really did not need to call you out like that. Searching on your shelf, you find the stuffed Pufferfish, dyed a sky blue, little foam spikes, and light pink eyes. Maybe he just misses it, and wants to go back on our memories. Whatever the reason, you follow along, as you're too excited.

You finish packing, zipping the suitcase up. As you forgot to change, you got into a light gray baggy t-shirt, and a black pair of jogging bottoms. You tried to sort your hair out, as looking in a mirror, you look like you've just turned Super Saiyan and your hair hasn't recovered.

{Y/N}: hey, im ready whenever

{Tyler}: Great!! See you soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

{Tyler}: I'm outside, Y/N. Come out whenever!

'Breathe in.
Breathe out.
The anxiety levels have just risen.
I'm sweating so badly.
He's going to think I'm crazy.
Shut up, I'll be fine.'

You take one last 'panic run' around the house, before finally stepping out your door and locking up behind you. You walk out to see a black car, with pink and blue graphics covering the sides. Lent on the car, is a man in a white t-shirt, and red baseball cap. His phone is in his hands, you'd feel awkward interrupting whatever he was doing. He looks the exact same from when he was younger. He always had curly hair, he always wore baseball caps. He's the same person, you can just sense it.

He perks his head up, and smiles, "Y/N! Great to see you again," you freeze on the spot. His voice hasn't changed much either. Your mind goes back to memories as children, all those water gun fights during the summer holidays, making snowmen on Christmas Eve. You blink back into reality once more. You notice he's stood in front of you, with his hand out, gesturing to your suitcase. "Lemme get that for you," he exclaims, still smiling goofily. You pass the suitcase to him, and follow him back to his car. Unlocking the car, he slides the suitcase into the back, and then opens the passenger door for you, smiling, and allowing you to adjust yourself before shutting it lightly.

"So... what's it like being, famous? Would you call it famous?" you ask, stumbling slightly. Tyler chuckles, knowing that you'd probably ask. "I'd say it's just popularity, not famous. It's bizarre, you know? Random people on the internet, who you've never spoken to, just watching your content all the time. But I enjoy it, and I've met some great people along the way." He states, keeping his eyes on the road. He glances at you for a second, before returning his focus on driving, "What do you do as a job? Did you become a gardener like you always wanted?" He lightly laughs, reminding you for your childhood aspirations. "I ended up working at Dominoes, funnily enough," you state, "gardening seems so much more fun than pizzas."

Before you know it, you're being driven up a wooded area, with a house - slightly distanced away - in front of you. The whole trip you've just been catching up, with not too many details. 'Details are way too traumatic for a simple drive' you think, while Tyler pulls up to the house. The trees tower around, creating an invisible fence. You glance at the field behind, soft, emerald green shoots covered the ground, separated by tire tracks. The tracks are a similar style to a tractors, but a tiny one. You ponder over what vehicle caused them, until the car's engine stops.

Welp, you can't turn back now.

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈