Chapter Forty - Hidden Wonders

Forty Chapters, that's actually crazy.
Thank you all so so much for voting, reading and commenting, it means so much to me. Literally thought I'd only manage like under 20 chapters, never thought it would get this far. I hope you enjoy this one!

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈

"Chris!"

Your voice echoes through the house as you glance at the ceiling, a white trapdoor filling a square gap which was previously cut out. Attempts to push it open failed, which meant you could not reach the ladder to enter the attic by yourself. You knew he had hidden a lot of stuff up there from when you first moved in, as a form of procrastination. It made you think he was keeping something from you, but you knew he would answer anything as honest as possible. You knew that whatever was up there needed to be sorted out, otherwise it will never get done.

"What do you need?" he asks, approaching you stood in the hallway, open can of Sprite in his left hand.
"I need your help."
"You're not going up there, it's a maze," he chuckles lightly.
"Well, will you sort it?" He stops laughing and sighs lightly, shaking his head, "I didn't think so." A smirk forms on your face.
"Well, at least let me go up there with you, let me put this in the kitchen," he walks off quickly, back down the stairs.

He returns as soon as he departed, stepping directly in front of you. As you glance up at him, he was grinning at you, "You should probably move, Y/N, I'm not taking you to hospital." You giggle, taking a few steps back. Watching his arms reach up and push the board aside, muscles slightly tightening in front of your eyes - you partially smile as his progress was showing, which you definitely was not complaining about. Once he had pushed the door away, he clutches onto a wooden pole resting against the wall, raising it up and hooking it onto the ladder frame to pull it down. Landing on the floor violently, he returns his focus onto you, "Y/N, you are bright red." He smirks when you spin your head around - you had no idea that your cheeks were stained the shade of roses. 

"I'm not!"

"If you insist," he chuckles, spinning you around and planting a kiss on your forehead, "Now, are you going up there or not?"

"I will once you let go of me," you respond with a grin, trying to calm your flustered mind. He does as you say, watching you approach the ladder with caution. As you test the first step, he positions himself behind you to offer assistance if needed, steadying the ladder with a tight grip. Climbing up carefully, it was not as difficult as it seemed, but the real challenge was navigating this room. Your arm reaches up to latch onto a cord and, with a tug, the attic lit up with a warm orange glow. Cardboard boxes were in piles all over the flooring, all with Sharpie text along the sides. "Wanna join me up here?" your voice echoes into the room, and down the hole you just stepped away from.

"Yeah, sure. Got nothing better to do," the ladder moves slightly as he begins climbing ,more confidently than you had. Once arriving at the top, he pulled himself up, barely able to stand straight.

"This is where your gamer posture comes handy," you giggle.

He smirks once again, pretending to make his accent more 'posh', "My posture is excellent, thank you very much." You both laugh loudly as you start adventuring around the boxes, hunting for a starting point. One box had caught your interest as the black words 'Stuff from Nelson' was scribbled roughly on the side. You loved his handwriting, as no matter how quickly or delicately he wrote, it was always legible. Wrapping your arms around the sides, you lift it up weakly as you expected it to weigh less. Chris notices and approaches you, holding his arms out to receive the box from you. As it enters his grasp, you sigh with relief, following him to a clearing to sit and search the insides. You sit cross-legged on the floor, the other side of the box to the carrier, as he begins picking at the packaging tape that covered the flaps. Eventually, he gave up, ripping the top of the box open out of the blue, facing you both with some packing peanuts. They fill your hands as you pull them out of the box, grasping as many as you could in one go. 

"Chris, why did Nelson buy you Cat Ears?"

Your voice booms out, causing him to flinch, then spot the hairband sat right at the top. Two pieces of black fabric sat either side of the band, a strip of white on half of the edge. Pink ribbons were stuck to the bottom of the pieces, with one bell on each side. Losing grip on the packing peanuts and clutching onto the band, both hands at the part which sits behind your ears. His chuckle erupts, confusing you even further. Your expression forced an explanation out of him. "I- we did an Amazon stream, where chat gave ideas on what to buy the other person," he continues laughing for a second, "his chat requested to buy me cat ears, and he did it." 

"Well, put them on again!"

"No, why don't you try them on?"

"I'll put them on if you will afterwards," you smirk, bringing him to sigh, "Deal?"

"Mmmmm... Fine, but not for long."

You giggle, sliding them on top of your head and behind your ears. Shooting him a grin, you shake your head from side to side, the bells ringing out in accordance with each shake. "Am I a pretty cat?" you question, teasing him slightly. He sighs with a slight smile, glancing back to the contents of the box, "You can't avoid the question!"

"You're a pretty cat," he mutters, just incase Droid or Pezzy decided to invade your house - a normal occurrence - and overhear the conversation. You beam at him, enjoying the reaction he was giving you, and you lift his chin up with your hand so he was forced to gaze into your eyes. "What are you doing? I thought you wanted to clear out." You link your lips with his for a second after pulling his swiftly closer to your face. As you pull away, you spot his cheeks flashing bright red, visibly flustered, encouraging you to kiss him again. Carefully raising your free hand up while you kissed him, you slide the headband off of your head and turn it 180 degrees. Hastily removing your hand from his chin, you push the cat ears onto his head, leaving his lips and giggling. "You bitch," he mumbles jokingly, glaring at you softly.

"You look adorable with those on!" you comment sweetly, receiving a playful sigh. Resting your hands on the sides of his head, you plant kisses around his face, winding him up even more.  The heat of his cheeks radiated onto your lips, and once you let go, he struggles to look at you directly.

"Let's just... continue looking, yeah?"

Distinguishing between embarrassment or being flustered was difficult when it came to Chris: his face is painted red; he avoids eye contact; he constantly brushes his hair back with his fingers; and adjusts his glasses often, even when they were fine. His behaviours fascinated you, sometimes catching yourself watching him intensely. As you regain your senses, with him still facing away and playing with his hair, you close the box up again and push it to the side. "We don't have to continue with that one if you're embarrassed," you speak softly, standing back up to find another box, "You can take the ears off if you'd like." As you pick one, you spot him slowly turning back around. "Did you hear me?" you question, concerned about him. He nods with a partial grin, rising from the floor and gets closer to you.

"Kiss me again."

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈