Chapter Thirty - Mistletoe

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈

4:23am. The red letters flash into your pupils from the dark grey box rested on the bedside table. A small glass of water was rested next to it, only a few mouthfulls left at the bottom, and a fluorescent pink tub led open beside that. Inspecting the alternate bedside table that was further away, a delicate pair of glasses were positioned in a long dark green case, a silk cloth balanced over the lenses to protect them, with a closed drinks bottle to the left. An iPhone rested on the corner closest to the bed, a cable running into the bottom of it.

Grumbling, you drag yourself off of the mattress, stumbling out the door, half awake. As you shut the door behind you, a taller male steps closer to you, causing you to back up towards the stairs: your mind blurred with drowsiness, panic began to take control. The stick to open the attic found itsself in your hands as you positioned it to wack any danger that came your way. "Y/N, what's wrong?" concern filled his voice, but you call his bluff in your head.
"Everything will be fine once you leave my house!" A sigh escapes his lips, as he takes a step closer. Tightening your grip, you prepare to swing. He approaches slowly, causing you to flinch slightly, "Hey, I will hit you with this!"

A hand wraps around the end of the stick, as he stops a few centimetres from you. "I'm not an intruder, Y/N. I'm Chris, your future husband," he whispers, wrapping his arms around you, "Merry Christmas to you too," he chuckles. You loosen your grip, sinking into his arms, regretting your actions.
"I'm sorry, I thought you were-"
"Don't apologise, I understand. Anyway, what are you doing awake this early?"
"Something felt wrong, I also got hungry." He chortles at your response, persuading you down the stairs. Obeying, he guides you into the kitchen, sitting you down at the island. Pushing your fingers through your hair, palms against your forehead and your elbows perched on the side, you feel your mind drifting off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Are you sure you don't wanna go back to bed?" his soft voice cooes, as you cover your eyes with haste from the bright fairy lights wrapped around the tree. Positioning your body higher, you groan as your body begins to ache from the awkward position you were resting in. You shake your head, reaching out for your ceramic mug resting on the coffee table that is filled with hot chocolate - a tradition you had kept since childhood was to have a hot chocolate on Christmas morning with whipped cream and marshmallows - which Chris made you at breakfast.

The bottom of the tree had several presents here and there, a range of paper designs and wrapping styles, as well as gift bags to one side. Your eyes locked onto the presents you had bought and wrapped, a specific one in your head. You lunge your body towards the piles, searching, when a giggle rumbles from Chris. Turning around, you shoot him a puzzled look, "Eager to find yourself a present?"
"I was just checking something was here, that's all," you respond, now cross-legged on the floor, gazing over him with awe: his skin absorbing the red rays of light and his glasses reflecting it all around the room, "Would you like a present?" you ask, grinning at him.

Avoiding any presents from you to begin with, you uncover one that arrived on Friday in the hands of Droid, who chuckled as he placed them down at the base of the tree. Before passing it to the man it is addressed to, you pull out a similar sized gift with your name spelt out in cursive, the same handwriting. Gentily prising the paper apart, you start to question what it was exactly. Glancing at Chris, you watch his reaction before speaking up, "Did you get the same thing as me?" His eyes wander to the object in your hands, responding as soon as it registered in his head.
"Why the fuck do we have Droid's face on t-shirts?" you both erupt into giggles, as you rip the bag open and slide it over your original t-shirt of the day. Standing up, you twirl on the spot, stopping as you reach Chris once again and placing your hands on your hips, "How do I look?" you chuckle. He whistles, chortling alongside you.

After calming down from the "merch" (if you could call it that), you decide on giving him a present from you: the excitement forcing your mind to change. Carefully lifting it from the floor, you carry it towards him, lowering yourself onto the sofa next to him. "I hope you like it!" you chirp, resting your head on his shoulder. Avoiding moving that arm as much as possible, he pulls the paper apart and lifts open the box lid to reveal a round blue and pink pufferfish plushie. A grin forms on his face as it rises out with his hands delicately wrapped around it, "I love it," he stutters out, inspecting each bit of it.
"My mother taught me how to sew at a young age, I guess I always found a joy in it."
"So you're telling me, you made this?" You slowly nod in response, and he wraps his arms around your torso. The hug shocks you, but you swiftly return it, "Thank you, Y/N," he presses his lips against your forehead as he loosens his arms around you, "Let me get you a present from me."

Pushing off of the cushion you were both sat on, he crouches down and lifts up a large package. It was carefully wrapped, tape holding the paper's structure together. He rests it onto your lap, before returning to his seat to watch your reaction. It had sunk slightly into your lap, and as you poke it, your finger sinks into the item. Attempting to control your excitement, you unravel the package and open the plastic covering. The fur clothing item unholds, showing an oversized hoodie coloured white with cartoon bees designed all over, "I know how much you adore my hoodies since they're quite big on you, and you love bees." you smile, facing him. You fold it back up, placing it to the side, before rising from the sofa.

Holding your hand towards him, he rises up while grasping it, glancing down at you, "Are you okay? Did you like it?"
"I loved it, I just have something to do which I can't hide anymore."
"Oh yeah?"
"Look up."

The petite green branches hang from the ceiling, delicate green leaves floating around them with white balls dot themselves around. His gaze returned to you, face blushing deeply, "When did you do that?"
"Nelson helped me when you went shopping." He smirks, hanging his head down to hide his face. You pull his chin up, smiling before linking your lips and positioning your arms on his shoulders.

"Merry Christmas, Y/N."
"Merry Chris-tmas, Chris."

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈