Chapter Twelve: Captain Morgan

"Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it."

Morgan Ann Bennett

I spent the night with my two friends: M&M. While LeRoux was great, it didn't fill me up. Or maybe it did and I was just eating out of sheer boredom.

Either way, I felt locked away in a tower. What was I to do all night while Malcolm was away. It's not like I'd jump his bones if he were home, but at least I'd have someone to talk to, look at.

Chris's words stayed with me. I had no idea what he meant by anything, but it's Chris, he's a dickhead. Of course he could just be saying that to scare me away.

It was Sunday. Malcolm was home but busy in his study.

After getting dressed for the day, I wandered around the house -- mansion.

While the exterior was captivating, the inside was decorated tacky. He liked prints and maximalist artwork. I gathered gold was one of his favorite colors, like red, and possibly black, too. It was definitely a man's space.

As I made my way around the inground pool, I got a phone call. It was from 'mother.'

"Hey, Morgan," I let her speak first.

"Hi," I returned, stuffing my other hand in the back pocket of my raw .

"How are you?" she wondered.

"What do you want, Mom?"

Her tongue clicked. "I tried calling Caleen, she didn't answer. Is she still sick?"

"Callie's fine now, thanks. I'll tell her you asked for her."

"How's Quinn," she mushed before I could press my finger to the 'end call' option on the screen.

"Quinn's fine, still the same bubbly little girl I told you about."

"I wish I could see her. Could you send more pictures?"

"Sure, if Callie let's me. I have to go now," I rushed.

"Oh, wait," she called out, making me growl with angst. "That Kyle boy stopped by the other day. He wants to know where you are, I told him you moved to Colorado, but that's all I know."

"Why would you tell him that?" I roared, flailing my one free arm.

"He asked, I answered, geez. I didn't know it was a secret," she claimed.

"Whatever, Mom, bye," I ended the call.

I texted Callie and told her the news about my ex, and how our mother had the nerve to ask about her and Quinn.
She replied telling me not to send anything about us to our mother, like I figured she would.

It was such a nice day, I didn't want to waste it indoors but I had spent enough time in Malcolm's backyard.

So I entered his study for the first time.

"I-"

"Can't knock apparently," Malcolm carped, ripping his reading glasses off.

"I-" I stammered again.

No one was there and I couldn't tell if he was on the phone so I didn't get the big problem.

His reaction only made me think his "work" isn't so legitimate. . .

"Sorry," I grumbled, walking back for the exit.

Hand on the door handle, I sighed. "You said we could do something today. I thought we could-"