Chapter Thirty-nine: she faked it

"I think we're just going to have to be secretly in love with each other and leave it at that"

Chris Omar Vaughn

"Whew, honey," Magnolia Staples breathed into the mic.

She. Or he? I don't know the persons pronouns, and that's a thing apparently. Either way, it's a drag queen. My mother convinced Morgan and I to tag along, and of course Morgan jumped at the idea. I asked JB to come but he said he's not with "the gay shit" so he and Jasmine went out again. I don't know how they can go to bar after bar, we just went to a big birthday party at the club last week and I'm still recuperating from that.

"I see some good looking people in the crowd tonight," the queen raved.

Everyone in the crowd started to clap, snap, and cheer.

No lie, though, Magnolia's very funny, had Morgan, Mom, and I all weak in our seats.

The show was at the café after hours, something thrown together last minute. It was Morgan's doing, she had met this queen some time shortly before the performance and found out they had been turned away from their original venue due to some "religious conflicts" with the owners. So, Morgan suggested they have the show here. The idea was good and bad because it sold out, but the Elk Lodge is only so big.

I'd never been to a drag show before so I had no expectations and they were still somehow exceeded. There was comedy, art, classical music, and rapping. Oh, and a lot of jump splits. Morgan's eyes were filled with wonder all night. She was at the edge of her seat and generously tipped every queen who performed.

Magnolia, who was taller than me in those heels that hurt my ankles just looking at them, stepped down from the stage and walked the room.

"Let's see who we got in the house tonight. Who this, Nutty Professor?" she cracked on a patron.

The room filled with laughter, even from myself.

Morgan nudged me. "Give her a tip!"

I reached in my pocket and found a small stack of cash.

Mom said it was rude to just give a dollar so I waved a five and Magnolia sniffed it out, approaching me.

"Whoo-weee!" She exclaimed, bending over in front of me.

Morgan and Mom squealed, hyping this up as I threw my head back.

Oh my God. If Jabari saw this shit...

Magnolia reached between her thick, padded, brown thighs and collected the cash.

I laughed at her and picked up my second drink of the night. I needed it.

Some men behind me whistled, vying for the female impersonator's attention.

"I don't know y'all, I might've found me a little ting," the queen announced, referring to me.

Morgan raised her glass, sitting just inches from me at the round table. She was enjoying this a little too much, my mother too.

"Mm girl, let me know, he looking at his girlfriend to save him," Magnolia cracked, making us laugh.

Morgan almost choked on her drink, laughing so hard.