Chapter Sixty-two: BFH

"Missing you is like torture, and thinking of you is bliss."

Chris Omar Vaughn

"--And it's not like you'll never see me again

"--And it's not like you'll never see me again." I talked on the phone as I stood on the balcony of my new apartment.

Port Ember had a lot to offer but it was an awkward transition from Penshaw, Colorado.
Never thought I'd be a New Yorker but here I am, and it's home for the next three months. At least. After an introductory luncheon with the department head/senior manager, Shawn Bowie, he called Reuben up and told him he may have a full time position for me. Now I'm just an architect, or designer I, but I couldn't wait to climb the ranks and eventually become a partner or senior principal.

I signed off on some papers after the professional tech guy installed my mounted Roku tv.

"Thanks, man." I said, pushing him outside.

With the slam of the door, I let out a sigh and thought I was going to enjoy some time alone finally towards the end of a long day spent playing tourist and interior designer. I use "interior designer" loosely, too, all I did was move the couch from one side of the living room area to the other, stock up the fridge, and make my bed for now.

"Still, it's a big move." JB continued to scold me about my decision to leave him.

I rubbed my forehead, feeling a headache coming on as I saw an incoming call from my mother.

Ignored.

"I'm proud of you, though." he added.

I sat on the couch and looked around the place that was so vastly different from my industrial loft back home. Well, I guess this is home now.

I thanked my best friend and told him that he better come visit.

He said, "Fo' sho. Alright, Ima let you go."

"Tell Jasmine I said hey, I know she's listening." I chuckled, rubbing my hand down my stomach.

"I'm not talking to you." she spat in the background.

Jabari said, "She says hi."

"I heard her." I swallowed, shaking my head. Hey, I guess that's girl code, I'll respect it.

After another minute of several goodbyes just in different phrases, I finally ended the call.

I actually did miss him already, and Jas, too. We didn't see each other everyday but at least we had the option to. I don't know if I'm sad or relieved that I won't hear his loud ass asking "it's 'cause I'm black, ain't it" every two seconds.

Last night was my first night sleeping in the townhouse and I slept like a baby after being so tired so I didn't realize how lonely this five thousand square foot slab of bricks would really be. And it is fucking depressing.