Chapter Twenty-four: losing his shit

"Some people are in such utter darkness that they will burn you just to see a light."

Morgan Ann Bennett

I woke up in an industrial loft. Brick surrounded me on every side of the apartment and the large windows let in lots of natural light.

I groaned, sitting up, and caught the time.

8:24am

Chris was still sleep, I let him. He looked like a little precious baby, all comfortable and tucked in.

I just smiled down on him, raking the hair from his face.

The more I looked at him, the harder it was to keep my hands off.

He groaned, rolling over on his back.

"Wake up," I nagged, nestling my nose in the crease of his shoulder.

He consumed me in his arms and I squealed, rolling out of his hold.

Seeing he wasn't budging, I kissed his chest.

"Chris," I cooed.

When he said nothing back, I reached my hand down his shorts.

"Stop," he jolted, jerking out of bed.

I frowned and watched him walk to the bathroom.

"Mr.Grumpy is back, I see," I snarled, getting out of bed.

I gathered my headband, chains, and then looked around for my shoes but they were in the kitchen.

Hungry, I salivated at the idea of French toast and turkey bacon.

"I'm not grumpy," he spat, joining me at the door.

"Sounds like it," I replied, arms folded.

"Well I'm not," he hissed.

"Don't be a dick, just take me to my car," I told him, impatiently waiting.

He rolled his eyes. "I didn't sleep good."

"Can't you just say that instead of being rude to me, I thought we had a good night?"

"Malcolm texted me," Chris let me know as he slipped on a t-shirt. "said he's coming back early to catch some of the festival."

Oh.

My face fell. "I guess he expects me home?"

"Anywhere but here, I'm sure. Let's go," Chris huffed, snatching his lanyard off the fixture by the door.

*

The car ride was quiet and not the good kind of quiet. I was swimming in my thoughts, expecting the worst.
Although, Chris kept his hand firmly on my thigh, so that's a good sign. It's not me he's mad at, it's Malcolm getting in the way of us.

Malcolm was most likely going to want to keep me on his arm for the entirety of the festival while he talked to more people who I had no desire in meeting.

My car (Malcolm's) was left outside of Black Elk Lodge so Chris stopped me there so I can pick it up.

"Thanks," I exhaled my frustration.

"I'll see you later?" He didn't sound sure.

I blinked twice. "If I'm not locked away in my tower, I'd love to."

He lightly chuckled and kissed the back of my hand.

"Text me," he said as I got out.

I waved and let him pull off before I got in my car, didn't want him lingering, risking anyone not on our side seeing us too close.