Chapter Sixty-four: spare me

Dedicated to DescendantsChange OlowuBusolami user78664627  🤎

~

Morgan is bold | Mary is italics

"I can't recapture that feeling of euphoric gratitude any more than I can really remember the mortal terror I felt when I was pretty sure I had about four minutes to live. But I know that it really happened, that that state of grace is accessible to us, even if I only blundered across it once and never find my way back."

Morgan Ann Bennett

New York. Population: 19.84 million.

"Shit." I exhaled at the desk.

It's fine, I thought in my head. Just have to narrow it down.

So I cracked my knuckles, downed a shot of Red Bull — all that's been seemingly getting me through the days lately— and continued my extensive search.

"Morgan?" Malcolm's voice thundered from beyond the doors of his study.

Damn it.

He wasn't supposed to be home, yet, he was in Aspen for business. Whatever business he had there.

"I'm in here!" I shouted, thinking if I acted casual he wouldn't suspect anything.

His wandering eyes landed on me, glued behind his desk.

"And why are you in my office?" He questioned, creeping further inside.

I gulped, trying to quickly think up a lie.

As he observed the room, probably making sure I didn't touch anything I wasn't supposed to, I kept my hand on the keypad, trying to close the browser.

He lifted one feathered eyebrow and stalked closer to me. "I'm waiting..."

I started frantically clicking at the browser history, my eyes going between him and the screen.

"I don't answer to you." I finally barked at him, hoping this would cause an argument, deterring him from the laptop issue.

"Oh?" He hissed, the wrinkles in his forehead disappearing.

I kept my eyes on his, staying strong. That is, until the laptop came down hard on my hand, shutting it inside.

I drawled a sharp breath and bent my knees, trying to get out of this.

Malcolm kept his hand there, pressing harder until I answered him.

"Okay!" I screamed in agony, hand throbbing under his weight.

His lips were tight as he pushed one final time and then released me.

I stumbled back against the wall, caressing my hand with the other one that wasn't in pain.

Tears fell onto my now red hand as I sobbed against the wall.

I brought my watery eyes to Malcolm, watching him pull up the browser history I couldn't delete in time.