Chapter Seventy-two: princess and the C

"Mislaid flame of tender emotions rekindled.
Together we live to the point of tears, I wouldn't want it any other way"

Morgan Ann Bennett

M&M Wedding Counter: 0️⃣3️⃣ days

How could he? How could Chris show up and think his beautiful fucking face would heal everything that's transpired the past few months. It's beyond him leaving me, too. The way he told me I was acting like a cunt because I wouldn't please him after my niece and sister died. The way he went out with another girl when we had one fight. Or how about the way he couldn't even stand to look at me because his goddamn uncle went down on ME. "Disgusted" I believe that's the word he used. God forbid I breathe too hard and he's crying, treating me like a witch in 1692 Salem.

I should hate him. I really should. In fact I'm lying to the both of us by not hating him like I said I would.

That painful memory of him turning his back to me and getting on that plane burned. If you asked me years ago about love and heartbreak, I would tell you it's silly and to get over it. Ask me that now, my answer: an unfortunate, unexpected ending to a real, true love that you thought would last forever hurts like hell. I wouldn't wish these desperate emotions, confused feelings, and insufferable pain on anyone right now.

"Congratulations." That damn word was uttered to me for the umpteenth time in the night.

I was sucked out of my head and it was probably for the best, all the worrying was causing wrinkles.

I swallowed and tried my hardest to smile at Mrs.Turner as she was swept away by her husband to speak to their other associates also in attendance.

"I can't get over how ravishing you look tonight, darling." Malcolm grabbed me by the waist.

"Good call on the all white, we look Godly." He kept talking and I only listened.

When I sighed, he surprised me by asking what's wrong.

"Nothing, I was just expecting— MARY!" I screamed her name. As if she could hear me about to complain about her not being there, Mary appeared.

She was alone, though. I dropped my head, disappointed in believing Carter would show for the hell of it. Truth is, he couldn't stand me, or so that's how it seemed.

"Carter sends his love," Mary said as if she could read my mind for a second time. "It's not you, it's him."

Just as Mary alluded to her old friend, Malcom pushed me out of the way to welcome her not so warmly.

"Mar', you made it. How you got an invite, I'm not sure, but here you are." He clasped his hands together and gritted his porcelain veneers.

I didn't mention then that I invited her. It was my wedding, too, and she was someone I needed here.