Chapter Fifty-six: the black sheep speaks

"[Sister.] She is your mirror, shining back at you with a world of possibilities. She is your witness, who sees you at your worst and best, and loves you anyway. She is your partner in crime, your midnight companion, someone who knows when you are smiling, even in the dark"

Morgan Ann Bennett

Last Week

"One, two, three!" Chris counted down the seconds until he blasted Quinn off of her feet.

Every one of us at the table looked at him with such admiration, at least I know I did.

"He's gonna be such a good father one day," Mary gushed about her son.

"You should've seen him when Jack and Kailyn were born. Ugh, he was the most overprotective big cousin in the world, wouldn't let anyone else hold them."

I looked up and saw her towel drying a glass dish.

"Here, let me help you," I offered, standing.

She pushed my down gently by one shoulder and smiled at me sweetly. "I got it, relax for once."

"I just want to help," I laughed it off, feeling slightly embarrassed that my offering hand was rejected.

The power had unexpectedly gone out at the restaurant on a random Saturday. It was in it's early stages and hadn't been properly ran in a while, they said. It didn't help that it was raining cats and dogs outside, as Mr.Porter kept declaring.

He and his wife warmed up by some candles in the window sill at the far end of the restaurant.

Callie and Jesse swept and dusted behind the bar while Carter helped Mary with the dishes, and The Jones's went over business details in a high rise booth on the right side of the building.

"Have you thought about what you're gonna call this place?" I kind of had to shout over the storm.

Alvin looked at me over his reading glasses and shook his head, always keeping a face of stone.

"How about you name it after this little monster, you love her so much?" Callie remarked. I think she was trying to be smart but by the looks on everyone's faces, she was onto something.

"Hm, that's not bad..." Sherry returned with her thinking face on.

I looked over my shoulder and saw Jesse nudge Callie out of her attitude. She began smiling and leaned into his lips.

"Quinn's? Quinn's place?" Sherry talking regained my attention, taking it off of my sister and Jesse's PDA.

Alvin tore off his readers and grumbled. "Nah, none of those are sticking."

"It means 'chief leader,' you could play on that?" I suggested with the raise of my shoulders.

Sherry tilted her head as she debated.

"What about, 'The Q?'" Chris suggested.

Silence fell as everyone danced with that idea. And actually, it wasn't a bad one at all.

"I like it!" I hummed, shooting him a proud smile.

He nodded back, thanking me in his gesture.