Chapter Twenty-one: good taste

"some of the best secrets in life are the ones you can't tell anyone about."

Morgan Ann Bennett

August.

The vibrating of my phone disturbed me from my dream. It was a good dream, too, about Chris, but it's just that - a dream.

I tossed and turned until I couldn't take the noise anymore.

Sitting up, I rubbed my eyes open and saw Malcolm asleep beside my body. He was on his side inches away from me, he liked his personal space in bed, and I'm not complaining about that.

Everything was so clean about his room, almost unlived in. It was unreal. There were no clothes piled up in the clothes hamper— Wait, I don't even think he had a clothes hamper?
My eyes darted around the dark room, only lit up some by the blue hue of the five AM sky.

My phone continued to ring, snapping me out of my thoughts.

The number wasn't saved but I recognized it.

I peeked over Malcolm's shoulder and saw he was dead asleep so I snuck out of the California king bed and tiptoed into the dark hallway.

"What, Kyle?!" I seethed.

"I miss you," my ex talked.

"It's five in the morning," I deadpanned.

"Please come back to me," he begged.

I facepalmed. "You're pathetic, bye-"

"Wait!" He exclaimed.

I exhaled through my nose in annoyance.

"What, Kyle?"

"You have to give me a second chance," he said.

"Dude," I huffed, ending the call.

When I walked back into the room, thinking I was so stealthy, I was met by Malcolm making the bed- or at least his side.

"Malcolm," I breathed out in shock.

"Good morning, darling," he said with a smile.

"Uh, good morning," I swallowed, tapping my phone on my palm as I walked across the plush carpet.

"Breakfast?" He offered.

"You cook?" I asked with glee, liking the sound of that.

He had a laugh. "Uh no. Hana!"

I furrowed my eyebrows.

Who's Hana?

Then, in walked an Asian woman in a pristine white uniform.

"Yes, Master Jameson?" she said with a bow of her head.

Oh hell no. Master?

"Hana, be a doll, and whip up whatever my Morgan desires. Oh, not too much, though, she's got to watch that figure," he said with a tongue click, and walked inside the bathroom.

I looked down at my tight, flat stomach but said nothing. Men.

"Right away. What would you like, miss?" She asked me, looking down at the floor as if she was instructed to never make eye contact.

I sighed, following her out of the bedroom, and said through a yawn, "To go back to sleep."

***

Malcolm found me in the kitchen hours later after his "meeting" that was held in his study via Zoom.

He was followed by Chris, Teddy, and Sage who all looked less than happy.