Chapter Thirteen: The princess

Tw: "darling" dedicated to oliviamj_

~~~

"'Sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me.' This is a lie. What we say matters. The unkind things we communicate can soil the best of relationships; even with the deepest of regrets...what lingers is a stain of hurt that may fade but will never truly go away. The wounding words we say are like feathers released in a harsh wind, once said; we will never get them back."

Chris Omar Vaughn

"Hey, Mom," I talked to her over the phone as I climbed in my truck after leaving the gym. "You busy?"

"Yeah," she answered.

"With what?" I asked.

"I'm with Morgan and Quinn now," she chirped.

"Why?"

"Why?" She repeated, unsure.

This Morgan girl is everywhere.

I pulled off, looking both ways first.

"Nevermind why. What are you doing with them?"

"Chris, I'm being nice. You should try it."

"I am nice."

"Right," she pulled. "Anyway, did you want something?"

"Nah, I guess not."

"I'll see you later, then?"

I thought about it for a few seconds, just kidding.

"I guess," I played, making her laugh.

"I better. Love you, bye."

I ended the call and made a u-turn as soon as I could, heading straight for Malcolm's.

~~~

"—So you're saying Morgan is the child's mother?" He asked for the hundredth time.

"Yes, dude, how many times do I have to tell you?"

He rocked in the chair, fingers locked.

"And you're sure?"

I stopped and put my hands at my hips. "Pretty sure. Look, there's no way Callie is somebodies mother."

"Damn it!" Malcolm screamed, slamming his palm on the mahogany desk.

I shook my head. "Sorry, man, I know you thought you liked this one."

"It was too good to be true," he sighed.

I agreed non-verbally.

"Thanks for keeping me straight, you've always had my best interest," my uncle said, standing.

"No doubt. I just knew there was something about her," I expressed.

He had nothing more to say, probably beating himself up inside for being so careless.

A kid isn't the end of the world, but it was to Malcolm. He liked young girls who lived fast and had no responsibilities other than himself.
"Morgan" may have checked every box but being a mother, to him, was a dealbreaker. A red flag. A major turn-off.

I didn't support or encourage his behavior and dating preferences, I normally didn't intervene.

However, this "Morgan" was too good for him. Kid or no kid, no denying she's — she's something. Something out of a dream, physically the type of girl you'd create if you could build one.