Chapter Sixty-five: drinks and dessert

"There is no doubt that some of our most meaningful and memorable moments are when we connect with other people... The tiny moments which may go unnoticed or seem insignificant to others can be those moments that never leave us, those moments when the small things in life turn out to be the big things in life."

Morgan Ann Bennett

October

"I'm serious," Mary giggled as she talked, "are you guys using protection?"

"Absolutely, Mar', come on!" I assured her. Okay, I lied.

She smiled at me but still looked uneasy about it.

I nudged her with my elbow after putting the broom back against the wall.

"Well, since we're having girl talk..." her voice trailed off.

Jasmine and I looked at Mrs.Vaughn playing coy at the kitchen sink in her bed-and-breakfast.
Her cheeks burned red and she shrugged.

"What is it?!" I pried, tickling her sides so she'd spit it out already.

"Okay, okay," she gave in, "it's Carter. He's been so uptight and every time I try to, you know, take the load off — literally — he blows me off. Not literally."

I laughed at her phrasing and appreciated her even telling me that. Although, I did not need those images of my boyfriend's parents in my head whatsoever.

"Sorry, I know I shouldn't be saying this to you." Mary apologized, obviously beating herself up for it.

Jasmine pouted, seated at the table. I shared the same look, feeling bad for my Mar-bear.

"You can tell me anything. It is a bit awkward, but you've walked in on me naked sitting on your son's face before, so..." I gritted, sitting down across from Jas.

Jasmine facepalmed. "Morgan!"

"What?" I raised my shoulders innocently. It's not like Mary knocked when she barged into her son's home, witnessing that was completely her own fault.

My best friend shook her head and laughed lightly as she bit into a Twizzler.

"Have you asked him what's been on his mind?" Asked Jas who just loves gossip and womanly conversation.

I took a Twizzler myself and nodded, wondering the same thing.

Mary dunked the plate back under the soapy water of the farmhouse double basin sink.

"I have, but he says it's nothing." Her frustration was clear.

"He's not cheating is he?" Jasmine wondered.

"Jasmine!" I exclaimed, slapping her brown-skinned hand.

"What?" She didn't see how what she said was wrong.

I shook my head, palm on my forehead, and apologized to Mary on her behalf.

"No, he's not cheating. I did consider it, though. I don't know, maybe he's just bored of me?"

"Aww." Jasmine and I sounded in unison.

"That's the worst feeling ever." Jasmine commented, eating away her feelings.

Again, I nodded in agreement.

"But how could anyone get bored of you?" I tried to cheer her up.

"Look at me." Mary hummed, all bashful.

"We are, you're hot!" Jasmine's comment had me nodding again, thinking the same.

"Oh, stop, girls." Mary blushed, waving us off.