Chapter Sixty: But, I love you

"The saddest part of life is when someone who gives you the best memories becomes one."

Morgan Ann Bennett

It's been a week and a few days. I had already gotten the results back.

Chris had gone to work after an argument we had early this morning. He was hell bent on going to New York but I just didn't want to uproot my life here. Sure, it's not ideal, but it's finally home for me. We have everything we need, this is where his roots are. Besides, in the future, Penshaw will be a great place to raise the kids - not some loud, dirty city. And anyway, I doubt he'd be ready to move once I tell him the news. . .

I tried to tell him. I did, I swear, but he wouldn't listen. The argument was really just him telling me I've been "acting like a fucking cunt ever since the accident." He immediately apologized but I know he meant it. One thing about Chris is he always says how he feels and when he's mad, there's no filter.

And he's right, I wasn't myself. I lost Quinn and Callie, other than my parents, they're all I had. I never knew much of my other family members or kept in contact with them, it wasn't that many anyway.

Mom and Dad kept calling and every time we talked, it was the same conversation, them asking me to move back to Arizona - start our family there. No.

It was probably ten in the morning when I was knocking at Mary's door again.

She opened it and looked at me like she wasn't happy to see me. That's a first, I didn't like it.

I dropped my head with shame.

She already knew the reality of my unexpected visit.

A sigh past her lips. "I'll drive. Let me get my coat."

I trailed her inside the home and shut the door behind us.

"Morgan," Carter called my name from the kitchen where he was standing.

I hesitated to face him.

"You okay?"

Gulp.

"I will be..." I replied.

~~~

I let go of Mary's hand, the hand that was my safety blanket while we waited in the lobby.

My name was called. They had all of my paperwork and the money.

It was time.

I followed someone to the operating room and stripped from my loungewear.

Finally the doctor came in. She tried hard to be as comforting as possible, a nice warm smile did put me at ease some.

I stopped squeezing the neck of the teddy bear to answer some questions.

After they numbed me, I didn't think twice about what they had to do.

~~~

"Here we are: home. You need to rest," Mary said, parking her SUV. "I'll take care of you while Chris is at work."

"I don't know what I'm going to tell him." I mumbled, head against the glass as it had been the whole way home.

She rubbed my leg. "Don't worry about that. Let me help you out."

I blinked and eased off of the passenger seat with Mary's guidance. Even though I didn't need it, she insisted.

As we walked up the driveway, the both of us noticed a black Dodge Durgango R/T.

Of course.

I braced myself.