42. Xavier

⁂⁂⁂

⁂⁂⁂

I wasn't the only one shocked by my Mom's question. Everyone that knows my Mom and our kind of relationship was shocked as well.

"I am." I thought I was seeing double when a faint smile appeared on her lips.

Never in a million years would I have believed that my own Mother would ask that kind of question. All I've ever gotten from her is hate, judgments and blames.

But she asked if I was okay.

I would be lying if I said those three little words didn't bring a sting of warmth to me. Of course, it didn't wash away all the horrible things she has done, but it was something different.

The dinner came to an end soon after. Weston and I bid goodbyes to everyone, before we started leaving.

"Well that went surprisingly good." I say, wrapping my right arm around Weston's waist as we head out of the dining room.

"Yeah, but your Mom was the highlight of the night." He points out and I laugh at that.

"Skylar." My Mom calls out and I turn back to her. She walks to us with an expressionless look on her face.

"Can I talk to you for a minute?" I nod my head even if I was a little bit confused. She flashes a smile to Weston before leaving.

He gives me a questioning look, but I only shrug in equal cluelessness.

We get to my Father's study and she closes the door behind us. I watch her awkwardly, standing with no idea of what to do. Tired of the irking silence, I decide to speak first.

"So what do you wanna talk ab--" My words gets cut off by my Mom embracing me in a hug. Attacking me for a hug actually.

I immediately turn rigid and my brain stopped working. I'm in a mixed state of confusion and shock. I'm basically goggle-eyed at the point.

"I'm sorry." She utters quietly.

"I'm sorry Skylar." My Mom rasp again. It takes me more minutes to process what's happening.

I detach her off me, coming face to face with an incredible amount of hurt in her eyes with tears glistening in them as she looks back at me.

Is this my mother?

What happened to the cruel hearted, emotionless witch I know?

She holds both my hands, but I pull away from her foreign touch in mere seconds.

"It's not that simple Mom." I say, making her face fall even more. I don't know what this is, but it doesn't change the fact that she has been hurting me all my life.