Chapter 33 - Nostalgic

"Want to put it to the test?" A heightened silence reigned for a couple more moments as that phrase escaped my mouth, during which only a gentle breeze was audible, this despite the majority of students in attendance and observing from the sidelines.

"I see, at least you have the same confidence as you used to." The smile on the man's face gradually dissipated and he acquired his habitual cold and apathetic expression that made you feel like he was looking down on you.

"I just asked you a question, that has nothing to do with confidence," I explained, although I was reasonably confident despite his bodyguards, which were known to be top fighters, being present.

The man inclined his head to the side and carried on peering at me with his prying eyes.

"To be specific, no, I don't want to test your skills. You know why I am here, and I will do whatever it takes to bring back my rebellious son." He not only informed me but also the crowd that was silently listening to our conversation.

"So you're saying that you would even resort to violence just to bring me back?" I asked, even though I already knew the answer to that question. If it meant bringing me back to this place, he wouldn't hesitate in the least to use force.

In the background, I could hear the surprised reactions of the students, which increased with every passing second. While we were having this conversation, the participants in the 100-meter race were receding even further away.

The reason was that two of this man's six bodyguards were shoving them away.

"If you put it that way, certainly, but I'm not going to be the one to use violence." The crowd lapsed back into speechlessness, eyes widened, mouths agape, as they continued to observe.

"This was perceptible from the beginning," I stated, showing no signs of surprise on my face.

"My my, Ayanokoji-boy, it looks like you're in quite the dilemma." Abruptly Koenji raised his voice from behind me, he was the first to speak up since I had arrived at the scene.

Not turning my head, I averted my gaze to Koenji, whose voice seemed to contain no fear or apprehension, but self-confidence.

"Do you need any help, perhaps? It is my pleasure to lend a hand to my direct competitor." Direct competitor? Help? At first, I figured I hadn't heard him correctly, but the smile on his face spoke for itself.

Direct competitor, huh? There's probably more to it than that, but I'll think about that when this is over.

"Hahaha, if you want, I can lend you a hand too, kouhai," Kiryuuin added before I could answer Koenji.

After they both declared their willingness to help me, I looked at both of them, unsure of whether or not I should accept their help.

Then my eyes wandered to Koenji's father, who, unlike his son, was not smiling in the least.

"No thanks," I replied hesitantly after a few seconds.

The two were evidently taken aback by my refusal of their offer, as there were several bodyguards around the man.

There were six bodyguards at the scene, two of whom were guarding the race participants and two of whom were guarding this man. So I can almost be certain that not more than two will fight me at once.

"You don't need to help me, these are my problems and I can solve them myself." My gaze then wandered back to that man.

"Senpai really is cool!" Ichika exclaimed happily, clapping her hands.

"Are you sure you can handle them? They're two of the most experienced martial artists."

"I just stated that I can handle my problems, albeit I don't want other innocent people to get involved in this, so let her go." With my index finger, I pointed at Nanase, who was being pinned down by one of the bodyguards.