Vol 4 Chapter 1: Hide and exchange

(Yuuichi Pov)

As I lay in bed, a question that has been on my mind for days now repeats itself over and over again. "Since I've entered this school, have I grown as a person. Have I, matured?" I muttered out loud, debating whether I had or hadn't. "If I haven't does that mean I need to change or not? I mean Kiyo and Roku have, but that's because they were missing something to make them feel human and whole. I feel human right? Like I don't feel alienated from everyone do I... Do I?" I asked myself, slowly realising the reality before dismissing it. On paper, I haven't had the best upbringing, but then again, I understand emotions the best between the three of us, so shouldn't that make me the most human? I mean, whenever I get angry I let it out, whenever I feel love for someone I express it, but have I ever felt remorse for someone? Is remorse an emotion I've yet to experience? I've caused the death of many, but I feel no guilt. I've made many suffer and cry, yet it's just another day for me. So I must ask myself, am I just a cold-blooded killer with no morals or am I a teenager with a severely messed up past and terrible mommy and daddy issues?

Then again, for me to change and mature I would need someone to force that change out of me no? So who would it be? I mean, Shiho is cool and all but... it wouldn't work. Haruka is a different case, but even then, I feel as if I would be able to control her too easily. What I need is someone who's strong-willed and can handle my past... Kikyo? No no no, I mean yeah she's pretty strong-willed, but look what happened when I tricked her at the start of school. She completely lost it and begged me to... not send her home. So she also has a terrible past. I mean, I've heard a few stories, but not any that would traumatise someone so badly to the point they would beg that profusely. Maybe me and her are more alike, maybe me and her like a key and door... eh, I don't know about that, I shouldn't be so hopeful. People like me are meant to end up alone and die young, right?

(1.2)

(Kiyo Pov)

"EXAM?!" As I figured they did plan an exam.

"Yes an exam everyone~! Let us explain the rules." Why does Hoshinomiya-Sensei sound so happy?

"Right everyone listen up, I'm going to tell you the rules for the Hide and Exchange exam now and only now. The rules go as follows: you have to choose one person from each of your classes and give them 10 minutes to hide, once hidden they must stay there until they're found or, survive the time limit." Mashima-Sensei explained, expecting us to blurt out random questions, but to his surprise we were silent.

"Let me take over," Chabashira suggested, to which he obliged. "Now for the other rules/contents: the time limit is 8 hours and it will be taken in the forest. To confirm you've caught someone, take a picture of the person you caught and then send it to your homeroom teacher. Once we've seen it, that person has to choose between two options, A change class for free or B stay in the same class but lose 200 class points."

"So there's no point in staying in your class you're just gonna hurt it." A random student blurted.

"You're correct, let me go over the rewards and aftermath." At this, everyone was focused. "If you do not get caught you gain 1,000,000 private points and 225 class points. If you're found, you will not gain anything or lose anything. If you find someone, you will gain 175 points." So there's only a benefit to this exam, that leads me to believe part 2 is going to be hard. "Now part 2 only happens if you find all 4 people, if you don't part 2 won't happen. As a teacher who's meant to guide you guys on the right path, I can say this if you want to advance classes and get higher part 2 is the time. I don't think there'll ever be an exam like part 2 ever again." Chabashira-sensei looked extremely serious when saying this.