Seeds of hopelessness

Phase something or other of the plan. I told Cinder about Ozpin and gangs little trip beneath the school, and now she been even more terrifyingly happy than usual. Although that women's happiness probably meant the whole world was about to burn or something. She had immediately sent Mercury back to the stadium to enact the next step. At least this time me and Neo were involved in the actual plan. Everyone in the kingdom seemed to be turning out for this one. I suppose that should be expected of the finals. Even standing in the empty hallways, the sheer number of people was making me want to vomit. Neo had to hold my arm to keep me from toppling over. I knew somewhere in the crowd Cinder was sitting with a smile on her face. Mercury was up against that fiery motorcycle girl on little reds team.

They walked to opposite ends of the platform. The countdown began. "Here we go" I muttered. Blondie launched right into it, coming at Mercury with that same ferocity she had under the bridge. All offence, all power. Against another student it probably would have been an overwhelming tactic but Mercury was prepared for this one. His job wasn't to win this time, it was to put on a show. Finally his showboating was gonna work to an advantage other than piss me off. 

Honestly, it was a pretty interesting fight, even if I knew what the outcome was gonna be. Her punches vs Mercury's kicks. Both using their dust pretty damn well. It even looked pretty close at some points, had to admit the kid sold it well. I even thought for a minute that he'd slipped up when she knocked him over the side of the platform but he kicked off the air with his dust and landed himself back on the podium. He started kicking round in a continuous circle, launching some kind of wind dust tornado. Even I had to admit it was impressive. He smacked her down to the ground and then brought all of that dust right down on her. For a second I was sure he'd just fucked over the whole plan but then I felt the girls aura practically explode. Burning brighter than I'd felt it before as she leathered into him with manic punches, until Mercury's aura shattered brutally. It was nice seeing him get his ass handed to him, even if he was selling it intentionally. 

"Show time" I muttered under my breath. As the cheers of the crowd died down, Mercury got to his feet and approached her. A few seconds later and she ploughed a dust backed punch right into his leg, just as Cinder expected. I wasn't sure how they convinced her, something about Emeralds semblance and illusions. Whatever it was, it worked. The low hum of cheers from the crowd turned to gasps and immediate boos. A sub conscious part of me may have even enjoyed that part. These people, so entertained, so complacent and docile in their simple happy lives, finally having something to disrupt it. The seeds of hopelessness had been sowed and if I could feel it, then the  Grimm would to. And with enough unrest they would come like moths to a flame.

Emerald headed out onto the platform to further sell the attack and that was my cue. I headed back through the hallways until I came to the right maintenance docking bay. Using one of the key cards me and Neo swiped, I opened it up, ready for a ship. Which we already had prepared as Neo and Cinder were pulling up to the opening in the stolen ambulance we'd commandeered the day before. I smiled as they pulled up into position and the backdoor swooped open, with the burning aura of Cinder to greet me. I gave a nod as I said "Your plan went off like a firework"

She sauntered off the ship confidently. "And the aftermath will be just as explosive"

"Whatever you say. They'll be heading this way soon" I reported as I walked past her onto the ship and made my way into the cockpit, where Neo was spinning slowly in the pilots seat. "Having fun?" I smirked as her spinning came to a stop, facing me. "Yeah, me neither" I chuckled, leaning against the doorframe. I could hear Cinder calling out to the medical officials out in the hall and a couple moments later the backdoor of the ambulance slid open, Emerald bringing through a gurney with Mercury laid on it, still writhing in mock agony. After the door whooshed shut, Mercury beckoned me over and rolling my eyes I did so. 

"What?"

"Is that any tone to take with our lead actor?" He jeered, giggling to himself like a kid. "You've got that fancy sense, is everything still together down there"

I gripped onto his trouser leg and tore the fabric. "Hey, you're paying for that" he said. 

"Tell me when my paycheck comes in" I muttered as I placed my hand on the leg. The door opened up one last time and Cinder burning aura walked through to the control panel. I finished reading the leg, its dust and its inner workings. "Its fine."

As we took off away from the stadium, Mercury began tossing and turning again. "Oh doc, tell me, will I ever walk again" Emerald seemingly read my mind as she smacked him across the shoulder. "Oh, what's your deal?" He sat up, rubbing his new bruise. Emerald joined him in his pain as she groaned,  forehead in hand. 

"Headache. One mind I can handle but two is a stretch"

Cinder spoke up from the co pilot seat. "Well, you all performed marvelously. Driver included" Neo gave a happy nod of recognition as I leant back against the wall.

"Guess that makes me chopped liver"

Cinders scorching gaze burnt right through me as she turned in my direction. "Don't worry. You've shown yourself to be just as useful an asset as Roman said you would"

"Wonderful. Glad you think so" I snorted.

An asset. Great to know how much of a tool I had become.

(A/N) Bit of a short one this time but as the battle of beacon grows ever closer, the action should be starting to pick up soon