Who can you trust?

It had been a whole 24 hours since Mercury's fight and mistrust was hanging in the air of Vale like a dense fog. The joy of the tournament momentarily stunted by people's disgust of 'What Ozpin was teaching his pupils.' This of course coinciding with the final phase of our plan. It was the day we'd been waiting for. All of our dominoes set in motion and ready to topple. I would say the calm before the storm but it really didn't feel calm. The tension was palpable, doubly so for us I imagine as we knew the hellfire that was about to rain down on Vale that night. I had the feeling this was the last hilltop sunrise I was going to get the chance to experience for a little while. Cinder hadn't told us exactly what the plan was, unsurprisingly, but I knew it had something to do with the Grimm. It wasn't our job to know apparently. We just had to grab Roman and make sure the skies stayed clear of Atlas military. Knowing we were getting Roman back made me the most excited and on board I'd been in weeks. In the back of my mind though, I was still thinking about how this was going to change everything...So much had changed recently.

Neo dropped down from the branches of the tree and took a space next to me, looking forward into the sunrise. "How does it look?" I asked. She answered with a shrug. "Never were one for sentimentality." I said, cracking a smile. "Although even you must be excited about getting him back today."

She turned to me and nodded enthusiastically. "Yeah me to. Bet you've been bored out of your mind with just me around." I chuckled. Neo bumped me with her hip and lightly shook her head. "Thanks Neo." I smiled. "Think we should check in with our new overlord?" I grumbled. Neo folded her arms and shook her head. "I'm not looking forward to it either but if we don't go to her, she'll just call us anyway and I don't want her talking down to us over the phone...again." Neo's shoulders slumped as she turned and began heading back to town. I sighed deeply as I trudged along behind her. Getting Roman back was going to be a godsend. I'd tried to keep mine and Neo's spirits up but I knew we were both miserable and had been this whole time. If it wasn't for the promise of violence and getting Roman back, I'm not sure Neo would have stuck around, no matter how much torturous death Cinder threatened. 

We silently made our way back to the emptying warehouse and slipped inside. Cinder, Mercury and Emerald were gathered in the usual meeting area with Merc seemingly working on his leg. I could hear news report about the drastically increasing Grimm activity, meaning Cinder's plan to rile up the beasts with negativity was working. The program shut off and I heard Mercury complain as me and Neo rounded the corner. Met with the chilling voice of our leader. "Enough. Our Mercury put on a wonderful show, he was quite brave."

"Oh look who else decided to show up."

"Bite me legless."

Mercury grumbled. "These things aren't exactly cheap you know. You said everything was fine."

I scowled. "You can still walk right?"

"Don't squabble." Cinder commanded. "We're almost done and then I'm sure you'll be happy to part company."

"Music to my ears." I muttered to Neo.

Emerald spoke up now, "So what's next?"

"You and I will ensure that our next match up goes just as smoothly."

"What about me?' said Mercury.

"You get to lay low until the end." Cinder answered, "We wouldn't want people to see you on your feet and have this all be for naught now would we."

"Can do." 

I chuckled. "Sitting on his ass, I think we found Mercuries secret talent." A burning grip clamped on my shoulder. "Fuuuck me. Why do you feel the need to keep doing that?" the grasp tightened and I winced. I saw Neo stepping forward, reaching for her blade handle. I moved between her and Cinder. It felt great that Neo wanted to defend me but I didn't want her to get herself hurt. "Ok ok I'm sorry, I'll stop." the hand let go and I went to rub my shoulder but Neo's hand got there first with a surprisingly soothing touch.