Partners in crime

We walked the cold nightly streets of Vale, mostly empty of people other then the odd wanderer or bar patron. Me and Neo often walked like this. As much as we teased each other, a large part of our relationship was just being together. Roman had practically saved both of us. I didn't know exactly where Neo was from or how Roman found her, and conversely, Neo didn't know everything about me but we knew enough. The three of us were closer then family. We teased. We fought. Threatened even sometimes. But we were inseparable and nothing without each other.

We both enjoyed the quite, only time we didn't want Roman around. I loved the man but he never truly learned how to appreciate the little things, like a chill night breeze, upside of having extremely entuned senses I guess. It wasn't all silence we were looking for though. Roman was the thief out of the three of us sure, but I had picked up on some of his tricks and Neo wouldn't say no to taking something that wasn't hers. 

Neo was lightly skipping alongside me. The only sounds being her heels clicking on the stone and my cane tapping rhythmically along with it. Neo stopped at one point and turn to look at something. I stood next to her and put my hand up, touching the glass of the window she was looking through. "Something interesting?" I asked. I heard the shimmering of her semblance and felt a weight on my neck. I put my hand up to it and felt out the smooth beads of a trio of necklaces. I smiled down at her and tutted. "Shame. Stores will be closed around this time. But I don't think you had any intention of paying anyway" I smirked at her and she folded her arms but I knew she was sharing my smile. I looked back and forth. There was nobody around. I moved over to the door and felt around the handle and lock. I tutted again. "Childs play. Jewellery store should really have better security" I was about to bring my cane down on the handle but stopped at the last second. I put my ear against the door and listened intently. A very slow, very quiet beeping could be heard within. "Shame on me, almost forgot about alarm systems" Neo cupped a hand over her mouth, miming laughter. I smiled and retorted "Not like you would have noticed. Or cared"

Neo cut me off from saying anything else, hooking my neck with the handle of Hush and practically dragging me to an alley, leading behind the store. She extravagantly gestured to something on the wall. I ran my hands over it. A power box. I cracked it open and heard a beeping from within. I placed my cane against the wall and played off Neo's theatrics, cracking my knuckles and flashing her another smile. "Time to work 'my' magic" I heard the very slightest exhale of air from her nose. Her form of a laugh. Another advantage of my fox like hearing, I could hear any tiny noise she made. As rare as that might be.

I gently felt around the inside of the box, careful not to disturb anything. There were several switches and a good number of wires. It wouldn't be a switch, that would be to easy, so it must be a wire. But which one. I felt each one individually. I could feel the electrical surges in each of them. Differing levels of heat. One of them felt a little hotter, like it was active. I had to be sure so I waited it out. Concentrating. There was the tinniest surge of electricity every time the alarm  beeped inside the shop. "Lets hope lucks on our side" I snapped the wire. After a tense moment of no alarm blearing, Neo slowly applauded. I took up my cane and we moved back round to the front of the shop, I smashed the handle and pushed the door open. Neo moved to the place she'd been looking earlier and placed the beads around her neck. I slowly made my way around the store. Feeling out the wares. I'm not really a jewellery guy but I could appreciate a nice ring. I found something far more interesting though.

A good number of the pieces, rings, pendants and such all had a very specific energy signature. "Dust" I stated. Neo came up beside me and shrugged 'so what'. I began explaining  "Its a small town independent shop, probably can't afford to keep importing new dust" She caught on to what I was saying and snapped her fingers.  We both moved behind the counter and kicked in the door to the back room. I quickly picked up on the energy signature and found two cases, filled dust. "So they have their own supply" I finished. Neo clapped her hands together and then swung Hush over her shoulder. We each took a case in hand. "Shall we?" She skipped out back into the main store and I followed.