CHAPTER 26: KEEP THE FALLING MOON

PREVIOUSLY: SHARDS

Ring! Ring!

My phone abruptly vibrates, signaling that I have a message. "Who could it possibly be at this hour?"

I reach for my phone, which is laying on the bedside table. I opened it to find a message from an unknown number. ‘Meet me tomorrow 9:00 in the morning at the Riverbank. I'd want to speak with you. – Amemiya Taiyou

Talking about someone. How did he get my phone number anyway? Besides the brunet and Shindou-san, I don't remember giving it to anyone.

‘How do you get this number?" I messaged back, not able to think anything else. Not a moment later, he immediately replies to my message. 

‘I get it from Yuuichi-san.’ Of course, how I forget that simple detail. Being stuck in Hospital for long, Taiyou sometimes visit Nii-san to company him. Knowing him from Tenma, he can't sit still long in a boring white room and just try to escape from the nurses. Then my phone vibrates again. ‘So... Will you be able to meet up with me tomorrow? Shindou-san is welcome to join us.’ 

For a minute, I consider that there will be no training tomorrow, and I also have a question for him regarding Tenma. Shindou-san may have a lot on his mind for the team, and he may be busy tomorrow. ‘I'll come alone. I have something to ask you also.’

‘Alright, see you then.’ I place my phone back on the bedside table and push myself down on the bed. Tomorrow, I hope Taiyou knows something. He is our only chance of locating him.

..................................................................................

"Huh? How come it won't open? I sure I heard a click" The brunet tries to force open the top with his barehand, thinking it is stuck. After giving it everything he's got, it still won't budge. Soon after, he gave up and collapsed on the floor. On the piano, he glances at a picture of his mother.

"Why do you make things so difficult for me, Ka-san?" A heaving sigh escapes him. Unconsciously, he stares at the ceiling for a lot longer, unsure of what to do. For a long time, all he can think of is his mother, their goddess. "Gentian Goddess." mutters sofly.

'Gentian flower, it is a bell shape form with vivid shape blue in the five petals. Just like mine.'

Tenma breaks his train of thought. What would happen if... He straightens up and returns his attention to the key. "Gentian has five petals; if I turn it five times, I've already turned it once... Please be it, Ka-san."

With shaky hands, he reaches for the key, hoping it would work. He takes a deep breath and then twists the key. It is no longer followed by a click, as it was the last time. It's time for the third, click! Next, click! A big click rings in the brunet's ear for the fifth and final time, and he likes what he hears. He then attempts to open the top, which reveals two gift boxes and a letter.

He gets out first the two gift box. One is big green color gift box with red ribbon and has a gold font of the name of the brunet's brother. "Kiyoshi." The other one is a long blue color gift box with white straps and has also a gold font this time it's his name on it.

Making himself at ease, he lays Kiyoshi's gift on the table and begins to open his. When he opens the lid, there is a beautiful familiar locket inside, laying nicely on a pillow. He's seen this locket before, but it's only worn by his mother.