VIII | Strange Names

Watching the cars fly through the road felt like a movie. One that I hadn't planned on watching, but ended up finding it fascinating.

Sana focuses in on one camera. The camera seems to be set up on top of a building, following the top cars as they make their way into the narrower section.

"Who do you think is going to fall back first?" Sana turns to ask us with an excited smile.

"No clue." I shrug.

Sana chuckles and turns back to the monitor.

In just the few seconds I was distracted from the computer, the race had almost completely changed. Mingyu's car ends up being the one to slow down so as to not crash. Right as S.Coups and the blue car enter the new area, a new, bright orange car flys into view, passing Mingyu.

I remember seeing the orange car when we arrived with Sana. The racer was leaning against his car, talking to a taller man. Both of them were wearing similar jackets, mostly white with green details and designs. The racer had silver hair and looked too tired to be racing. The other person, who I assume to be his friend, had dark brown hair with a much more energetic feel.

The camera switches and we get another overhead angle.

The narrow area seems to be a weirdly large alleyway placed between an apartment complex and a coffee shop.

By now the orange car was tailgating S.Coups, who was nearly crashing with the blue one. They were both too close to the wall and too close to each other.

As of now, the focus was only on the top three cars, and Mingyu has fallen behind to another camera.

Glancing at Sana, I notice her face tensed and her finger tapping rhythmically on the table. She hadn't looked anywhere near concerned before, and now her nervousness was making me startled.

Thankfully it doesn't take long for the race cars to get back to the normal road. The street widens to almost twice the size from the beginning. Although, that doesn't seem to help with whatever Sana is worried about.

The two first cars split away from each other, revealing that each had scratches on the side. Yet they stay close enough that no other car could come in between them.

Since the race started all the noises had become overwhelming. It didn't matter how far the racers went, the engines and screeching of tires were obnoxiously loud, but they were now starting to get louder as the cars made their way to the finish line.

The gray and blue car are currently trying to inch in front of the other, it was barely possible to see who actually was in first, I could only make a guess.

As the cars get louder I turn my head away from the screen to wait for the racers to come into view.

When they do, their neck to neck, each taking turns inching forward before being taken over and then taking over again. They continue until they reach the finish line, and it's nearly impossible to tell who won.

Once the first car passes the finish line, Sana reaches over for a microphone.

"Tonight's winners everyone!" Even though there was still a look of concern, her voice sounded energetic and confident. "In first place, Mark Tuan! Following him, S.Coups and Jooheon!"

Behind them, is Mingyu. She goes on to list the other racers but I stop paying attention. My attention was instead focused on S.Coups and Mingyu, who were now out of their cars and making their way over to Joshua. Both were wearing annoyed, possibly confused expressions.

I can't help but think that whatever is bothering them must be what Sana is concerned about.

Even now that the race is over, most people haven't started to leave yet. Most of the racers had exited their cars and were either talking to the crowd, someone who was working the race, or what I could guess was someone from their team.