XXX | Start of the End

Even with the stressful conversation over, my heartbeat continues to race. Depending on how everything goes tonight after the race, me and Jisoo may be skewed. Or nothing would happen, and we would realize that all this was an overdramatization. However, I've grown too skeptical to rely on that now.

"Just focus on the race," I inaudibly tell myself. "Maybe I can enjoy that, and hopefully not for the last time."

The race isn't too far along, which feels strange, considering the conversation felt like it went on for hours.

By chance, I choose a screen showing Jin's race. Currently, in sixth place, he's going head to head against no other than the other Monsta X racer. The two cars aim toward a split in the road, and Jin edges his car right toward the rival racer, forcing him to move as well.

While he's Seventeen's enemy, this racer has a greatly designed car, even if the green tint discolors it. Over the color, there's a dragon design winding around the sides. If I remember what Changkyun said before, I believe his name is Hyungwon.

At first, it seems like Monsta X's racer won't retaliate and will let Jin push him into the right road, but at the last second, he brakes, falling behind Jin's vehicle as it flies into the new route, while the other swerves into the left.

Once the car gains enough speed on the new path, his and Jin's number switch, placing Jin in seventh and giving Monsta X sixth place.

The move was strange. Of course, it can easily be explained by being a lucky coincidence from the racer trying to escape Jin. But with Changkyun's warning ringing in my ears, I doubt that.

As the places switch, a few people nearby groan, but down in the seats by the track, the other four Monsta X members cheer.

Unfortunately, sixth is the lowest placement for the group. Jooheon is sitting in third place, with Wonwoo behind him, but not close enough to pose too much of a threat. At least not yet.

Already bored of Jooheon, I switch through the screens until I find Mingyu. Compared to his other races, his placement is pretty low. However, it's still in the top fifteen. Thirteenth, to be exact. Although in the few seconds I've started watching him, he's already gaining on the person ahead. A car I slightly recognize but not enough for me to remember who it is.

Once the racer notices Mingyu, they quickly move to the left to get in front of him so that he can't pass. But, the racer moved too fast, causing themself to swerve. To regain control, they slow down. Mingyu uses the chance to speed up, sharply turn to the right, and pass the racer, just narrowly missing running into their side mirror.

Whether it was skill or Mingyu having incredible luck, it's impressive to watch. A sharp moment of excitement, making your heart fasten, even just from the crowd. It's how so many people turn up for the event—racers like Mingyu, who provide a rush of authentic thrill. And I hate how much I find myself interested in the races—something I hated so much not long ago.

Maybe that would be for the better. That is, it would be if I hadn't just potentially ruined everything. But maybe, through a sliver of hope, somehow, this will fly under the rug, and everything can stay the same.

But I'm probably too hopeful.

An erupt of cheers startles me from my momentarily negative thoughts. I scramble, scanning to try and find what caused the commotion.

Finally, I find the cause of cheering, no other than Yangyang. He's currently leagues ahead of anyone else, shown from an overhead shot as his car shoots toward the final part of the track.