XLII | Sorry

After abandoning Mingyu, I felt a strange mix of guilt and anger. Guilt for Mingyu. I know he wasn't trying to push my buttons and drive me away; he was trying to reconcile me and his close friend. I shouldn't have stormed away from him. It was immature, but I couldn't stand to talk about Minghao anymore. I don't ever want to relive those moments, and I especially don't want Mingyu to know about my past. Ironic, considering he isn't living a crime-free life either.

Nearly all my anger is aimed at Minghao. Had he not done enough to hurt me? He just had to tell Mingyu he knew me and that we had a past. Thank goodness he didn't talk about the thievery or his betrayal. Although that was probably to make sure he doesn't look like the awful bastard he is. My leftover bitterness is for myself. I shouldn't have been so stupid and inconsiderate. I just hope that I'm able to apologize sometime soon.

Unfortunately, I can't focus on that now. My leaving wasn't just petty but stupid. I've never been to this part of the city before, and I have no clue where I'm going.

Usually, if I were in this situation, my immediate reaction would be to call Mingyu. Another solution is to call Jisoo, but she'll be in class now, and I can't interrupt that.

I rack my brain, straining to find a better answer. Perhaps Sana and Jun haven't left the hospital yet and could pick me up? Or, if I'm desperate enough, I could message DK. Not that I have anything against him. Quite contrary. There are many reasons to like DK, and I do, but so does Jisoo, and recently it seems she enjoys all those reasons more. It feels weird to be alone with him, knowing that my best friend is starting to crush on him.

Checking my phone, I search for my bus's route, hoping there's a stop nearby. Naturally, the closest one is farther than I'm willing to walk right now.

By now, anyone with an office job should be getting into work, so it might be easier to get a taxi. I only hope I have enough money on me to pay for it.

I walk nearer to the road and try to wave down a taxi.

After a few seconds, a car merges into the outer lane and starts to slow down, but it isn't a taxi. A recognizable black car halts beside me and rolls down the passenger side window, and to my surprise, I see Wonwoo driving.

"I thought you were having breakfast with Mingyu?"

How did he know about that?

"Anyways, do you want a ride back?"

"Umm, yeah. Thanks."

Wonwoo nods in response, unlocking the door for me. He's the last person I expected to see out or to give me a ride. Throughout the few months I've lived in their house, Wonwoo is one of the few I know nothing about. Outside of being one of the racers and working with Jun and Sana, I'm clueless about him.

Once the door is closed, Wonwoo drives off, the air thick with silence as neither of us talks. Either Wonwoo drove with no music, or he had turned it off, which made everything more awkward.

As Wonwoo continues a straightforward drive, I realize that I have been walking the entirely wrong way, making myself more lost.

"Did you leave breakfast early?" Wonwoo questions, his voice surprisingly loud in the otherwise silent vehicle.

"Something came up," I hesitantly answer, still off-put by him knowing about that. I thought it was an out-of-the-blue request, not something Mingyu had informed others about.

"Hmm. Everything okay?"

"As far as I know."

Again Wonwoo only nods. Unsurprisingly he's not a big fan of words.