XIV | The Calmness

It takes a few minutes to get to Mingyu's car. Once we reach the car, I go to sit in the passenger's seat but pause when Mingyu stops at the back of his car.

"Give me a second, I need to make a call," He says, unlocking the door for me.

I open the door and wait inside as Mingyu starts his call.

While I wait in the car, I find myself glancing through the rearview mirror, watching as Mingyu talks to the person on the other side of the phone. His face looked tense. Like he didn't want to share whatever he was saying, but he had no choice.

I assume the call has something to do with his visit to the club, especially with how quickly he was running out of it.

Although it was likely the reason he was rushing was that he was late for something, and not some overly dramatic scenario that I was letting myself picture.

The call doesn't last long, and soon Mingyu opens the door to get into the driver's seat.

"Sorry about that."

I shrug, even though he can't see me, "It's fine."

Staring out the window, watching everything pass by, I try to come up with something to talk about. I didn't want to sit through a silent car ride again, and even if it was just small talk, it might make things less weird.

But it was hard to come up with something. I didn't really know anything about Mingyu. Not that I knew much of anyone else, but with DK you could usually rely on him to come up with a conversation.

Even though I had run into Mingyu a few times and had spent time with him much more compared to the other men, all I knew was that he was a racer with a typically arrogant vibe.

"Is there anything special with this race coming up?" I blurt out.

"Huh?" Mingyu glances away from the road for just a moment to look at me, "Oh, you mean the Golden Rose Races?"

"Uhh, yeah," I say, now knowing the official name. The name seemed very fancy for just street racing though.

Mingyu lightly chuckles before explaining, "It's incredibly important. But the ones that happen this week are only the starting races, so they're relatively easy for us."

"You and the others at the house?" I ask, wanting to keep the conversation going.

"Yep, Seventeen has always made it past the first section," He says, a proud air around him.

"Wait, you are called Seventeen? Like your group?" I ask, trying not to giggle at the name.

Mingyu shrugs, "Yeah. And before you ask, we don't have seventeen people in our group."

I can't help but let out a small giggle, finding the obvious annoyance of the question I was so close to asking him funny. "Okay then, why do you call yourself Seventeen?"

"There's thirteen of us, and we're split into three parts, and we're one team, so added together, Seventeen."

He said it so sincerely that I couldn't even make a joke about how cliche it sounded.

"It's a little silly, sure. But we all like it," He quickly says after I don't respond.

"I mean, it's unique. Plus it sounds pretty." I'm not sure if calling the group's name "pretty" was the best compliment, but I do notice Mingyu gently smiling.

Our conversation comes to an end with that. There wasn't much silence though, as we were already at Seventeen's house. Mingyu parks to the side of the front of the house and we both step out of the car.