XXII | Other Sides

I knew the arena would be large, but I had underestimated it. You could only see the whole shape of the oval stadium while far away from it. Now that we're standing beside it, I would only be able to guess.

It's located a few miles out of town, so it's not forced into any size limitations.

Not too many people are here yet. A few plain cars are parked near the entrance, Sana's being one of them. Outside the arena, a strand of food stands are preparing to open, and a few people are setting up booths to take bids and other things related to the race.

When we first got here, I was confused. For Seventeen and BTS being in such a rush to get here, no racers seemed to be here. But once a bright yellow car with flower designs drove past the setup area and around the arena, I realized they had their own place to park.

I'm still confused about why Sana wanted to get here so early. As far as I know, she doesn't have anything planned, and clearly, she's not a racer. The only reasonable conclusion I come up with is that she wishes to get close parking or possibly better seats.

But I find myself doubting that. Sana's mood had changed. She walks past everything with her head high, and no smile dawns on her lips. Instead, she wears an expression of confidence, giving off the air she owns the place.

Compared to her, me and Jisoo must look quite unrefined walking behind her.

As we approach the entrance, the security guards automatically straighten their posture and quit any previous conversation.

Sana stops by a door on the side of the main entrance, one labeled "employees only."

A female guard stands in front of it. She has blonde hair that reaches down to her waist, with the roots starting to show. She's right at Sana's height, making the two literally eye to eye. The guard's face is stone cold, refusing to show an ounce of emotion. So much so that she barely acknowledges our presence, even with Sana standing right in front of her.

"I'm here for a meeting," Sana says, giving the lady a smile. Although it's clearly one of forced politeness. The guard remains the same.

Apparently, this makes Sana chuckle, "Oh, come on Seulgi, no reason to be so uptight."

I find myself stunned at the scene in front of me and Sana's overall sudden change. I'm not shocked that she had a more sinister side; everyone does. Especially when laws are being broken. But, this wasn't the way I imagined seeing it.

Seulgi rolls her eyes, "Were you given a code?" She says, her tone sarcastically sweet, "I don't remember being told you would be here."

Narrowing her eyes at the stern woman in front of her, "27," She replies, her smile gone.

Rolling her eyes, Seulgi moves away from the door and opens it for the three of us.

The door leads to a compact staircase made of concrete. There are lights, but they don't do much, making everything seem much more sketchy. It feels the same as staying in a sketchy hotel, unsafe, but it's cheap, so you go for it.

"Sana, what are we doing?" I finally ask. Whatever is happening, I know I don't want to be a part of it.

"I'll explain later. But don't worry, everything is fine," Sana says in an attempt to be reassuring, momentarily looking back at us.

Jisoo and I share a look of discomfort but follow along. Neither of us knew what we're doing here. Hopefully, the safer choice is to stay with Sana. While it still being suspicious, at least she knows the area and people. Not to mention I have no desire to interact with the guard, especially with previous experience of how people in this world see things.