Chapter 38

Mia's POV:

My eyes open to the moonlight-lit bedroom of Harry's house.

I slowly come to my senses and realize that Harry's arm isn't draped over me anymore. I lift my head and squint to where he was on the bed. He's not here.

I can hear the waves crashing on the shore of the beach, causing me to glance at the huge sliding glass door. It's cracked open.

I know Harry and I closed it last night, after we swam on the beach together for the first time. I specifically remember locking it after we took our showers and got ready for bed.

I can't help but worry at the fact that he's not here. I tap the screen of my phone to see that it's three in the morning. What would he have to do this early in the morning?

I pull the covers off of me and stand from the bed, having to pause because of my extreme lightheaded-ness.

I rub my eyes while walking to the sliding glass door, pushing it open so I can step outside. Once I'm on the patio, I slide the door back so it's barely cracked again.

The stone beneath my feet feels cool as I walk around the corner to make sure he's not at the sitting area. When he's no where to be seen, I make my way to the steps that lead down to the beach. I use the minimal light from the moon to see the steps beneath me.

When my feet reach the sand, I slightly sink into the ground and walk to the shore. I really should've brought a flashlight. I can't see shit.

I try my best to look out into the water to see if he's swimming, but I don't hear any movement besides the tide.

"Harry?" I shout, to confirm whether he's out there or not.

There's no response, and I try not to assume the worst.

I look up and down the shoreline, wondering if he went on a walk or something.

"Harry?" I shout again.

No response.

When I glance down the shoreline again, I see a shadowy figure moving. I'm almost positive my vision is just blurry and I'm imagining things, so I rub my eyes and focus on it.

The blur is slowly getting bigger, and my heart races.

I don't know if I should run away or stay here. I'm not sure if it's Harry or not.

My heart pounds in my chest as the figure gets closer.

"Harry?" I yell. Please be Harry.

The shadow doesn't respond. It just keeps moving toward me. Is this a good time to run?

I stay still, unsure of what to do. I focus a little harder on the moving thing, and confirm that it's definitely a person.

I should probably run, but my instincts tell me it's H. I can barely make out the person's shape, but I can tell it's a tall man.

It's Harry. It has to be.

"Harry!" I yell once more, and the person's head turns toward me. They slow down for a moment, but eventually shake their head and continue to run.