Chapter 43

Harry's POV:

I stare out of the car window beside me, just ready to get home. I need my fix. I need Haven.

I've been in LA for two weeks longer than I was supposed to be, and it's been absolute shit without her. I'm glad to be on my way to the airport. On my way home to her.

Jeff originally wanted me to stay for an extra few days, and then pushed me to stay for another ten days.

I only stayed because of a few business opportunities and meetings that were too good to pass up. And the entire time, Haven encouraged me to stay, promising that she'll be at home when I get back to New York.

She's been helping Dana reconstruct and design the children's section at the book store. Haven has donated a lot of money, against Dana's wishes, to help fix it up again. And when Audrey found out that Dana's had a fire, she donated money, too. She knows how much Hav loves that place.

I've donated quite a bit as well. Hav said that Dana is mad at us for giving her our 'good, hard-earned money', as she put it, but she still wants me to visit the store when I get back. Nevertheless, Dana has expressed extreme gratitude for everything we've donated.

I miss Haven so much.

I never realized how lonely the Malibu house felt without her. As soon as she walked through those doors, she changed that place forever. I never want to be there without her. Anywhere, for that matter.

I just want to go home and hold her. Stare out of the windows of our bedroom, guessing what people are doing in the lit up rooms of the skyscraper in the distance.

We've called each other every night— except last night because she was busy— and we text all day. She's been occupied with helping Dana and going to work after hours, sending photos of the progress at the book store. She even sent me a video of her at a sleepover with Audrey and Elli. Elli and Niall are leaving for Ireland later this week.

I keep reminding myself: I just have a six hour flight and a little drive until I see her again.

I feel the vibration of my phone on my leg and glance down, checking to see who would be calling me on the way to the airport.

Jeff. I wonder what he needs.

I slide my thumb across the screen to answer, knowing that I'll have to hurry.

"Hello?"

"Hey, man." He sounds worried.

"What's wrong? I'm almost at the airport."

He pauses on his end of the line, like he shouldn't tell me what he wants to say.

"Harry, there's something you need to see, but you need to know that you're probably going to have a bad reaction to this. I don't want you to be worried the entire way to New York, but you probably will be. You definitely will be. Are you in the car still?"

I pause this time, my eyebrows furrowing. "Yeah. What is it?"

"Once you get on your flight, you're going to have trouble texting with airplane wifi. So regardless of what I'm going to say to you, you need to relax on your flight and talk to— and talk to whomever you need to once you land." He pauses and I don't say anything. "I would rather not tell you right now, but I have to."

I shake my head. "For fuck's sake, Jeff. You're scaring me. What's going on?"

He takes a deep breath in, and I find myself getting nervous. Maybe I don't want to know.

"It's about Mia."

My heart drops. Stops, maybe.

"What? What happened? Is she okay?" I question with a quickening heartbeat.