birthday

A/N just wondering. if i ever wrote a book that wasn't jaylor. would you all be interested? i have an idea and i just wanted to know if it would be interesting. it would be like a book called "my brothers best friend" or something along those lines.

**saturday September 10th – 2039**

-ellies pov-

"Mom, dad, we are here" I say once we walk in the door at home. Betty is obviously coming with me to this family dinner for my birthday, she is like family, and it would be weird to not bring her since we live together.

We head into the living room where everyone already is "Ellie! Happy birthday!" they all yell and I smile at my parents and little ssiters. "Thank you" I say and give everyone a hug. I haven't gotten to seen them this week, I've only talked with my mom on the first day off school and then nothing.

It's really weird to not be at home anymore, to live on my own and be my own person, but it's also exiting. Now I get to do things my own way which I think is the best feeling ever really.

"Come on girls I've made dinner. Tonight, it's serve-yourself taco bar, I know how much Ellie likes that" my mom says and we head into the dining room where she has set everything up. My mom is a really good cook, I love it when she makes things. But it does make me anxious to eat at home because I know they are watching me and seeing how much I eat. I think I've been doing good this week, I truly do, but they might not agree with that.

We all serve us selves and I end with a burrito today. this is probably going to make me gain so much weight, and i hate that. but i know that if i mess up while i'm here my parents will start to worry about me again.

"How was the first Friday night as university students?" my dad says, and betty and I exchange a look with grins on our faces. We might have drunk more than we planned yesterday, I think I drunk about three beers, so I had a headache this morning. Betty was pretty hungover this morning, but it passed quickly.

"It was calm" betty says with a poker face while aurora rolls her eyes. "Yeah calm. They were at a party; I saw it on Instagram and Ellie was caught making out with some guy. There was a video someone took, and you can see her in the background" aurora says, and I bite my lip.

"What boy and what party?" my mom says and raises an eyebrow. "Just some... party. It was fine I didn't get flat out drunk again don't worry. And he is... just someone that asked me out and we had drunk some so... it was spontaneous" I say and try to brush it off. I don't want to tell them too much about it as I don't even know how I feel about it.

Not to mention the fact that I have been avoiding him for the last part of the party last night and not responding to his texts this morning. I don't know how to deal with this, so I'm doing what I know best, avoiding the problem.

"it's the first guy she has kissed since you know who dumped her" Kenzie says, and I look down at the table. "let's not talk about that. It's her birthday. Ellie, you can tell us in your own time when you are ready" my mom says, and I take a deep breath.

My mom knows how much of a sore spot Alex is as a topic. It makes me really sad to talk about him because I'm not over him. Now he is holding onto someone else, clearly moved on, so maybe I should move on too. But then he flips and mutters to me that he misses me which just confuses me. How can he stand there with someone else and then make it clear by mouthing the words and using his hands to tell me that he misses me.

And what does miss me even mean. In what way? Does he miss me as someone he used to know, as someone he used to kiss, miss me as his girlfriend or just as a friend. I don't know what it means, and it bugs me a lot. Why do boys have to be so complicated.