its time

**sunday july 8th – 2040** 37 weeks and 1 day pregnant **

-ellies pov- 

"Stop kicking my ribs" I groan and roll over in bed. Emilia has dropped two weeks ago, that's at least what they call it, her head is down and into my pelvis. Apparently that's something that happens 2-4 weeks before labor, but it also means her legs are up and kicking me in my ribs, which isn't fun at all. 

I'm a few weeks out from birth now, which means I've graduated to seeing my OB-gyn once a week to measure dilation and effacement. Dilation apparently means that my cervix is widening, and effacement means how thin it is. Measuring that stuff is not fun, the OB sticks her fingers into my vagina to check, which sucks in my opinion. 

The doctor gave us a list of things that should make us call or go to the hospital for a checkup, basically signs of labor. If the false, contractions get consistent and five-seven minutes apart. If the contractions are more regular and last 30-70 seconds. If I have a lot of bloody stuff coming out. Obviously if the water breaks. And then there are the scary things like my vision getting blurry, severe headache and all that, which are signs that something could be wrong. I did get some bloody stuff yesterday, so she said it was a sign that we are getting closer to birth, but it can still be days until I'm fully there. Apparently it's a sign that the cervix is beginning to rupture. 

On my appointment on Friday she said that she suspects I will have the baby in the next week, which is terrifying.  since I'm 37 weeks I was worried it would mean she would be premature, but apparently anything after 37 weeks is considered full term and not premature. 

Alex is still asleep, but I feel a sharp pain in my back and lower stomach. It's a contraction, they have been happening every once in a while, but they aren't regular. And I know they are actual contractions because my doctor listened to what I was saying, and she said they are not Braxton hicks. the contractions don't ease up by changing positions, have become more frequent over the last two days and I lost that mucus thing that was so gross. 

"Another contraction?" Alex groans beside me and I nod "yeah. And she is kicking me in the ribs" I mumble and try to get comfortable again. Thankfully the pregnancy pillow helps with that though. "i'm going to sleep again, at least try to. It's like 4am" I mumble before closing my eyes again. I feel Alex's lips on my forehead giving me yet another goodnight kiss. 

** 

There is another sharp pain in my stomach and lower back waking me up. This one is stronger than the once that have kept me up most of the night and looking at the clock it's been about 20 minutes since the last one. 

"Babe. We need to start timing these soon" I say as he walks out of the bathroom. "Yeah, better to start too early than too late. Was it 5-7 minutes apart or water breaking that was the active labor signs that told us to head to the hospital?" he asks, and I nod. 

Seeing as I've never been pregnant before the doctor gave us a detailed list of what to look for, so we had more confidence that we knew when to head in. I've been so nervous that I wouldn't know when to go and end up having the baby in a car. 

Around 20 minutes later I get another contraction, so I decide to call my mom. She said that I should call her around this time so she could be here. Alex and my mom are the two people that are going to be with me in the hospital room while I give birth. Where everyone else is I don't really care about, I just know I want my mom and I want Alex. This is all fucking terrifying, and they are my comfort people. 

"Mom. They are 20 minutes apart" I mumble into the phone. "Okay sweetie. I will get in the car right away. Try to stay comfortable" she tells me, and I say I will see her soon. I'm getting really scared now, this is becoming real and I'm in early labor, the baby will be here sometime soon. They say the three stages of labor can take a really long time when you're having your first baby, but it is only a matter of time before she is here.