Chapter 39

- - Levi POV - -

"Leave without me, Levi." Y/n suddenly said, and at those words, I clenched my fists tightly as I turned around.

"Ridiculous." I said without hesitation, trying to control the waver in my voice.

"We're almost out of gas, only one person can escape." Y/n said in a soft voice and my heart lodged up in my chest.

"Don't you dare." I said, turning back to look at Y/n who was staring at me with sad e/c eyes.

I refused to leave her.

Not her.

Oluo and Petra were already gone and it was my fault.

I didn't care if I sounded desperate at that moment, there was no way I was going to let her go.

"Don't you dare sacrifice yourself for me. Don't you dare leave me too. Not after Oluo and Petra." I said, turning away again as my vision blurred ever-so-slightly.

I have to be the strong one.

I have to get her out of here.

"Tch. How are we supposed to get past all of them?" I said in a soft voice as I tried pushing down all my rising emotions.

I fell silent, breathing deeply as I let out a frustrated sigh.

"I don't know what-" I started to say, turning around to look back at Y/n but as my eyes fell on her, I froze.

Tears streamed down her face, hitting the roof of the tower as my throat clammed up.

"Y/n... Are you crying?" I asked in a quiet voice as Y/n blinked in shock, raising a hand to touch the tears running down from her eyes.

She then smiled softly.

"Petra and Oluo both knew... They knew that they had to sacrifice themselves..." Y/n whispered out and I stopped breathing.

"I know I promised... But... You can hate me. I don't want to leave, I shouldn't leave, but you have to be strong." She whispered and I inhaled sharply.

"Now's not the time to joke-" I started to say, refusing to believe that Y/n was going to do this to me.

How? How do you expect me to stay strong without you?! I can't do that!

I wanted to scream at her but suddenly she leapt forward and wrapped her arms around me pressing her face into the crook of my neck as I blinked in shock.

I felt her hands trail down my arm, pausing at my wrists before I felt a small tug against my wrist when something slipped off.

I watched as Y/n pulled back, holding the piece of fabric before dropping it to the ground and it fluttered away in the wind.

That piece of fabric from her cloak.

The one I always kept on, never taking it off.

But when that piece of her flew away, I broke from my daze as I saw Y/n take a step back.

I griped her arm, holding it tightly as I stared at her with wide eyes.

"Don't do this. I don't want to lose someone again." I pleaded and my voice cracked at the end of the sentence as I could feel sobs rise.

"If humanity needs someone... it's you." Y/n said as she gave me a soft sad smile.

"I'm not letting you-" I started, not letting go of her wrist when she took a step forward.

And I froze.

She stepped froward, hands wrapping around the back of my neck and she pressed her lips against mine.