Chapter 43

"Sorry I'm late." Darius Zachary apologised as he entered the room.

"Well?" He asked as soon as he was seated.

"Have we discovered what's in the container?" Zachary asked as Hange spoke up.

"The thing is... With our technology, I'm afraid we can't dig much deeper. Like we've heard from Eren and Historia, it seems to originate from some sort of human bodily fluid." Hange said, pausing as she looked down at the open box.

The box that Levi got from Kenny, who had said that he could turn into a titan if he injected himself with the contents of the syringe. 

"However, it vaporises when exposed to air, making analysis difficult. Whoever made it must have had technology far superior to ours. If it was the Reiss family, I can't imagine how..." Hange trailed off as Zachary hummed a little.

"In that case, instead of tampering with it, we should use it to achieve our current objective." Pixis spoke up.

"But who do we entrust it to? Erwin, to you?" Zachary asked, looking at the commander as he shook his head, raising his hand to his wound.

"No... I'm no more than a wounded soldier. This box should belong to an elite soldier who has the best odds of survival." Erwin said as all eyes raised to us.

I stiffened a little at the thought of carrying such a precious item as I spoke up.

"Levi should have it." I said as everyone blinked, but no objections.

"Levi has more of a chance in survival, and when it comes to quick thinking, Levi was always better, which is exactly why he's the strongest." I explained as Erwin looked at the raven-head next to me.

"Levi, would you keep it?" Erwin asked as Levi looked up from the box, finally tearing his gaze from it.

"If it's an order, just say so. Why even ask the question?" Levi asked bluntly as I frowned a little.

Levi seemed to have been a lot more different, it's only been a week since I've woke up from my mini coma, but I could tell that Levi was acting much more different.

"We can't predict in what situation we'll have to use this. We'll be relying on you to make a decision on the fly. Judging when and who to use it one will be for you to choose." Erwin said as I could almost feel the intense pressure from his words.

I carefully brushed my fingers against Levi's hands in order to give him some indication that I was there for him, but instead he seemed to slightly flinch away as he shuffled a step away from me.

I grit my teeth, didn't even blink from the movement.

That's how it's been this entire week, nothing but getting avoided by him over and over again.

"Can we leave that to you?" Erwin asked, breaking me from my thoughts as I glanced at Levi briefly.

"If this dream of yours comes true, what will you do then?" Levi asked out of the blue as Erwin paused.

"I... don't know. I won't until it happens." He answered as Levi also paused before replying.

"I see... All right. I'll do it." Levi said as he took a step forward towards the table, closing the box softly with a click before withdrawing beside me again.

He always kept close, but yet I felt like he's never been further away.

"By the way, I'd like to unveil that work mine soon. Have you given it thought?" Zachary asked as Pixis sighed.

"You still haven't given up on that? If the public saw that repulsive display, trust in the military would hit rock bottom." Pixis said as Zachary let out a huff.