Chapter I: Veracity

~.~

"There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you. This is what you've always told me."

"I see this as nothing but a joke. A simple prank that you forgot you were playing on me."

"I try to hide the fact that you're gone beneath a sigh and scowl, wandering around these lonely halls as your voice rings in my ear every morning."

"If death is so peaceful... why did you test that? We were just together, laughing, smiling. And yet, it was all taken away in an instant...?"

"Was it my fault? Did I jinx it? Did I joke about this occurring way too often? Did I send a message to the universe that I didn't mean to send?"

"Of course, it's my fault. I played with fate, and fate humbled me in the process."

"Now I lay here, gasping and crying out the words 'I love you constantly', aching for a response."

"It's been said that such desperation and grief truly shows that a person did indeed love their other half."

"But I don't wanna love you this way!"

"Why must you leave me in order for me to prove that I loved you?"

'Why?'

"(Y/N)."

"Is it too late for us to swap places? Am I just stuck here... without you?"

"(Y/N)...!"

"Was it just your time, as they say...?!"

"Maybe so... But still, I want..."

"One... More... Chance—!"

[July 5th, 2005 - Tuesday]

"(Y/N)!" A voice called, breaking (Y/N) out of her concentration entirely.

As she let out a quiet sigh, the timid girl, with beautiful black skin, lay limp on her back, gazing at her bland ceiling; nothing but dust and cobwebs were to be seen.

'You gotta be kidding. It was just getting good...' She thought; yawning into her right hand before closing the book and tossing it off to the side; she hated being left on cliffhangers, especially when it came to reading.

"Yes?" She finally answered, listening in for the sound of her mother's voice as it boomed from downstairs. 

"Get up before you're late for work!" The mother nagged; utterly oblivious to the annoyed expression now painted on (Y/N)'s face.

"But it's too early...!" (Y/N) grumbled to herself; sitting upright. "I still have a half-hour before I head to the shop!" She replied, increasing the volume in her voice.

In this circumstance, (Y/N) was completely correct. She had always made it plainly clear that she doesn't attend her profession unless it was close to 5 p.m. This being because, after her long day at middle school, she'd be at least granted a certain amount of time to rest before getting back onto her feet again.

But it was now clear that her mother had other plans, and completely disregarded the reminder.

A scoff could be heard from down below as the mother nagged yet again.

"Must I repeat myself?!" 

(Y/N) sighs at the question; listening to the fury in her mother's tone.