Chapter XI: Concurrence

~.~

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster."

"And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you."

~.~

[20 Minutes Earlier]

(Y/N) huffs as sweat now dripped from her chin down to her feet. She had now effortlessly defeated the two remaining underlings that Peh had sent to defeat her. With a sigh of relief, she rotates to cover the same tracks which Peh had covered. With a scowl now displayed on her face, her fists ball.

'Peh, you coward! Running away so you can leave your little minions to stop me...! How gross can you get?' She pondered.

And as the rain poured and washed away the sweat and blood that now painted (Y/N)'s brown skin, she pants; scanning each step that she took. And little by little she followed after the scrawny male.

"Even if I don't make it to Peh, I'll at least be able to find my way out of these woods...!" Her pacand e slows, she was clearly exhausted. "I just... need to find a way out of here..." She huffs; making a sharp turn further toward the light of the busy streets.

"There...! I'm almost out! Be at ease, Draken. I won't let you down—...!"

But at that moment, a member of Moebius unexpectedly leaped from the forest's trees and struck (Y/N) with his powerful, albeit wooden bat.

(Y/N)'s entire body is sent flying backward into the mud, leaving a trail of blood that now oozed from her temple. The underling sneers, resting his now bloody bat on his shoulder.

"That'll shut you up. You were one persistent little bitch, I'll give you that." He cackled; turning over his shoulder as Peh emerged from the shadows once again. "She's all yours, boss." He affirmed.

Upon saying such, Peh stares down at (Y/N)'s pathetic state before slowly forming a scowl on his wicked face. "You should've just minded your business, (Y/N)...! I hate to hurt a woman, but you've left me no choice...! Now?" His foot lifts; shadowing it just barely over (Y/N)'s head.

Her vision is blurry but she still somehow managed to scowl at the gross traitor. "Lights out." With that, Peh's foot deeply collides with (Y/N)'s skull; knocking her unconscious with a grunt.

A mixture of blood and mud spills allover the ground as the female fell unconscious, her respiration now barely maintaining itself. And without a trace of regret on his face, Peh lowers his foot before turning to leave the unconscious female behind, exiting the dark wilderness entirely.

(Y/N) was now alone.

[Present]

"(Y/N) can you hear me?? (Y/N)!!" Althea pants; gently caressing the female's cheek as she shook her awake. The ringing in her ears was awfully loud but it soon replaced itself with the sound of worried Althea's voice.

(Y/N) then struggles to push herself up; hissing upon doing so.

"Althea...?" She groaned; finally pushing herself upright before turning toward the petite girl. Althea nods as her hands grabbed ahold of (Y/N)'s cheeks and temple.

"Oh my god, your head...! All this blood?!" Althea stammers; turning to grab a handkerchief from her back pocket, it was damp from the rain, but helpful nonetheless. With this, she then gently dabs (Y/N)'s temple as more blood dripped from her forehead down to her bottom lip. Even her braids were stained from the red liquid.