Chapter XXIII: Stranger Danger

[TW: Mention of Child/Domestic Abuse, Heavy Manipulation, & Mention of Alcoholism]

~.~

"Tag. You're it."

~.~

"Ah! Kazutora! Right on time," Hanma grinned; roping his arm around's (Y/N)'s neck as he forcibly inched her closer to his chest, "Our new recruit and I were just talking about ya! You really show up at the perfect moment."

(Y/N) grunts while under Hanma's tight hold; her narrowed eyes traveling over to a familiar blonde and black-haired male standing before them. His childish smirk almost made her stomach turn inside out.

"Aw, really? That's awesome! Glad she's already getting used to how we do things." Kazutora innocently beamed; his head tilting to the side as he ignored (Y/N)'s obvious scowl. 

He just couldn't be more pleased to hear such false news; not to mention how it came straight from Hanma.

So, of course, he believed every single word that was spewed from his disgusting mouth.

Furthermore, due to Kazutora's joy, it only made Hanma beam even harder; his grip tightening as his eyes traveled over to the struggling girl, "So, (Y/N)? Ya mind if you and Kazutora hang out for a bit? He's been meaning to get to know you a little more; not to mention you'll be under his division as of today."

Kazutora lights up at the statement; his teeth flashing a gigantic grin, "Really? Aw hell yeah! That's awesome!" He cheered; clutching his fists with victory. It was as if he had won some sort of prize. It was sickening.

But for (Y/N), on the other hand, all she could do was just looked over at Hanma; watching as his eyes narrowed, clearly indicating that she still had no choice in the matter.

So, with a heavy heart, and an annoyed expression; she nodded.

"Yeah...sure..." She murmured; feeling as Hanma's giant arm released her, allowing the air to swarm her lungs once again.

But even though the relief felt heavenly, it didn't stop her stomach from turning once she heard Hanma's victorious laughter, "Welp, that settles it," He proclaimed; clasping his hands together as they thundered. "You two go on and hang out for a bit. Starting today, we're all one big happy family. And we should learn to get along."

With this, Hanma winked at the pair before walking in the opposite direction; leaving (Y/N) to endure Kazutora's cocky and enthusiastic expression. The boy then shrugged once Hanma was out of sight, his smile expanding once more; "Don't look so sad, (Y/N)! Today will be awesome!"

You could almost hear the sound of crickets the moment Kazutora uttered those stupid words.

And, to Kazutora's dismay, he was sort of hoping (Y/N) would make some effort to retort with a sarcastic remark; it would surely make things a lot less awkward. But alas, rather, she zipped her lips as she clutched at her former work bag, the weight of it getting heavier and heavier by the second.

When did she even grow so weak?

Kazutora's eyes were immediately glued to the item, noticing how (Y/N)'s arms lowered more and more due to its heaviness. With this, he extends his hand, "Here, lemme carry that for you," he grinned; tipping his head to the side as his annoying earring made its tiny jingle.

(Y/N) is taken aback, her feet moving in reverse upon seeing how close Kazutora grew. She then watches as he frowned; his lips forming a childish pout, "Come on, that thing looks heavy! I can carry it for you if you want."