Chapter 58

"Can you please explain to me what the hell is going on between you and Eddie?" Steve asked

"Can you please explain to me what the hell is going on between you and Eddie?" Steve asked. He was trying and failing to keep an edge out of his voice.

"What are you talking about?" Kim scoffed.

The group had decided to spend the night at Steve's house. His parents were out of town (like always) and it was easier for them to all just stick together than be alone in their separate houses. Kim was in Steve's bathroom, taking her makeup off with the makeup wipes she kept at his house, he was leaning against the door frame.

"What's going on between you and Eddie Munson?" Steve said slowly, enunciating each syllable.

"We're friends, Steve," Kim rolled her eyes. "Calm down."

"No, no, no," he shook his head. "There's definitely something going on. I don't like the way he looks at you."

"Oh, sorry that the way he looks at me offends you," Kim scoffed.

Steve flashed back to a different bathroom. Halloween, 1984. Nancy Wheeler. 'You're bullshit' echoed through his head over and over like a haunting mantra.

"I just don't want to lose you," Steve said quietly.

Kim finally looked at him straight on and not just through the mirror. "There's nothing going on between me and Eddie. I know him because he's friends with Dustin. My feelings towards him aren't any different than my feelings towards Mike or Lucas or Will."

"Yeah, but he's actually our age and you haven't known him since he was a toddler. It's different," Steve sighed. "And he clearly likes you."

"Mike liked me for the longest time," Kim reminded him. She smiled to herself as she remembered the box of chocolates Mike had gotten her for valentines day when he had been in 5th grade and she had been in 8th.

"But he's a kid. It's different," Steve repeated. "If it's not a big deal, why didn't you ever tell me you were friends with him?"

Kim rolled her eyes. She didn't like feeling like Steve was trying to control her or dictate who she could or couldn't be friends with. It made her blood boil. Kim was often impulsive. She rarely thought through the affect her words and actions had. This was one of those times.

"I don't have to give you a list of every single person I've ever talked to," Kim shot back. "It's not my fault you're still hung up on the fact that Nance went behind your back with Jonathan. Don't make that my problem."

"Okay, hang on-" Steve started to say, stung from the low blow.

"You flirt with other girls all the time and I don't say anything," Kim continued, her voice rising with every word.

"No I-"

She rolled her eyes. "Don't even try to deny it or play it off as just being friendly with customers. I usually just brush it off or make a joke about it but did you ever stop to think that maybe I was a little hurt by that? Or that it made me uncomfortable?"

Steve had alway thought that she found it funny. The 'You Suck' chart that she and Robin kept and the jokes about not having any game. He only ever really had eyes for Kim; she was his everything. "Kimmy, I'm sorry I–"

"And as soon as there's one guy that I'm friends with because we have similar music tastes and he's easy to talk to, you're pissed off and jealous! It's bullshit!"

Kim with the makeup wipe. Nancy trying to get the stain out of her shirt. 'You're bullshit!' Steve couldn't take it anymore. He felt like he was going crazy. "Just stop, okay? Stop!"

"Why?" Kim questioned.

"What do you mean 'why?' Because we need to talk about this calmly, that's why!"

Kim scoffed and shook her head. She looked at him sadly. "What's the point, Steve. I'm going off to college in the fall. Jonathan and Nancy couldn't make long distance work, so what makes you think we can?"

Steve was stunned, his mouth hung open as he tried to figure out what to say. "Jonathan and Nancy live halfway across the country from each other. Purdue is less than two hours away. I would come and visit you all the time. After your first year I could even move there and we could buy an apartment together off campus. We would make it work."

Kim continued to shake her head. "I just don't want either of us to feel miserable and like we're trapped in this relationship."

"I-is that how you feel? Trapped?" Steve asked. He couldn't cry right now. Nancy's 'Bullshit' turned into his dad's voice 'Be a man, Steven.'

"No?" Kim's response came out more like a question. "I don't know! I just- I just thought maybe we should take a break before I went to college."

Steve scoffed, rubbing his temples. "And when were you going to tell me about this? Once summer started? After I helped you move into your dorm? Or were you just planning on not answering my calls anymore like your dad did to you when he left?"

This time Kim was the one who was stunned. Her eyes welled up with tears which just made her more angry.

Steve wished he could take it back as soon as he said it. The look on her face made him want to get down on his hands and knees and beg for her forgiveness. "Kimmy, I'm sorry I shouldn't ha–"

"Whatever. Screw you, Steve," she shoved past him, into his bedroom and out into the hallway, slamming his door behind her.

Steve crumpled against the doorframe, sliding to the ground. He had never felt more like bullshit in his entire life.

Kim stormed downstairs to where Dustin, Robin, and Max were raiding Steve's kitchen.

"What was all of that yelling about?" Max asked. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, Steve's just being a little ass hole," Kim fummed.

"He didn't–" Max's eyes scanned Kim's body for signs of injury and Kim's heart broke at the fact that that's what she thought happened in every fight between people who said they loved each other.

"No, no," Kim shook her head quickly. "He just doesn't like Eddie."

Dustin studied her carefully, knowing his sister well enough to see how hurt she was. "Do I need to kick his ass? Cause I'll totally kick his ass."

"I'm fine. I was out of line too," she admitted quietly.

Robin nodded, placing a hand on her friend's shoulder. "You guys will figure it out. If there's one thing I know about Steve Harrington it's that he's crazy about you."

A.N. wow look at me updating twice in a day after not updating for like two weeks! we love irregular update patterns! so, i've been hearing mixed thing about eddie and kim's relationship. some people really want a love triangle and some people hate the idea. i don't think i'm really going to make it a love triangle, but i definitely think that steve and kim's relationship was getting a little boring and i live for the drama. i think you guys will like what i ultimately have planned but if not im really sorry. also thank you all so much for the 1 million reads! it means so much to me and im so glad you guys like it.