Chapter 23

"So, you're Max?" Kim asked, sitting next to the redhead girl

"Yeah? Why?" the girl asked, totally confused about how she already knew her name. Max knew Kim's name, of course. The boys never seemed to shut up about Dustin's badass older sister —their protector, as they sometimes called her.

Kim shrugged, trying to be nonchalant and not give away her brothers crush. "The party talks about you every once in a while."

Max rolled her eyes. "Yeah, well Mike hates me so I have no chance of being apart of their stupid group."

Kim chuckled, nudging Max. "Well, Mike's an idiot."

"You think so?" Max asked, a small smile appearing on her face as she looked up at the older girl.

"Oh, yeah, for sure," Kim smiled back. "Dumbest kid I've ever met."

The two girls went on talking and joking until Max looked over at Steve and then back at Kim. "So you two really fought one of these things before?"

Kim and Steve both nodded, Steve playing with his lighter out of boredom.

"And you're like totally, one hundred percent sure it wasn't a bear?" Max questioned.

Kim started to laugh, but Dustin snapped at the ginger girl. "Shit. Don't be an idiot, okay? It wasn't a bear. Why are you even here if you don't believe us? Just go home."

Max got up and crossed her arms. "Geesh, someone's cranky. Past your bedtime?" she asked, climbing up the ladder to where Lucas was keeping a lookout for demogorgons.

Kim put her head in her hands while Steve whispered, "That's good, just show her you don't care."

"Again, terrible advice," Kim muttered.

Steve laughed, getting up and taking the spot Max had recently vacated. He wrapped his arm around Kim and she leaned her head against his shoulder, having wanted to do that for years.

Dustin looked between the two of them, his eyebrows furrowed. "Wait, when the hell did this happen?"

"Um," Steve said, looking at Kim for what to say.

"Chill out, Dust," Kim said. "Steve listened to my girl advise, which means you should too."

"You know what? I'm okay with this," Dustin nodded, eyes still on the new couple. "I'm okay with this. But Steve, you break her heart and I break you."

Steve laughed, trying to imagine Dustin beating him up. "Not gonna lie, I'm more afraid of Kimmy than you."

"I don't know, Steve, I think Dustin could beat you in a fight," Kim teased.

Dustin grinned at his older sister, while Steve rolled his eyes. Before Steve could say anything back, there was a growling noise from outside the bus. The three forgot about their petty teasing and rushed to the mostly boarded up window.