Chapter 2

The strange group sat in the Wheeler's basement, trying to get the girl with the shaved head to open up

"Is there a number we can call for your parents?" Mike asked her.

"Where's your hair?' Dustin asked. "Do you have cancer?"

"Dustin!" Kim reprimanded, smacking her brother's arm.

"Did you run away?" Lucas asked her.

"Are you in some kind of trouble?" Mike asked.

"Is that blood?" Lucas asked, looking at the stain on her large tee shirt. The boys continued to ask questions, scaring the poor kid even more.

"Alright," Kim cut in. "All three of you need to shut up and go away. You're obviously freaking her out."

"She's freaking me out!" Lucas exclaimed, eyeing the strange girl suspiciously.

"Upstairs, now!" Kim demanded. "All of you, go. I'll tell you when you can come back down."

"Jeez, someone's on their period," Dustin grumbled as he started to walk up the stairs.

Kim wanted to start yelling at him, but knew it would either wake the rest of the Wheelers, or scare the young girl. Kim slowly walked over and put her hand out of the girl to take. "Come on, let's get you some new clothes."

The young girl hesitantly took her hand as she led her to the bathroom, stopping at the laundry machine to steal clothes from Mike for the girl to wear. She frantically put her arm out as Kim tried to close the bathroom door for her.

Kim sighed, wondering what the hell this child had been through. "We'll just leave it open a little bit, okay? I'll be on the couch when you're done changing."

The girl seemed to consider it for a minute before nodding and getting changed. When she came back out and sat next to Kim, she looked a lot warmer and more comfortable.

"So, what's your name?" Kim asked her, trying to sound as non threatening as she could.

She pulled back Mike's sweatshirt sleeve to reveal a small tattoo. "Eleven," she said quietly, pointing to herself.

"Your name's Eleven?" she asked, hopping she didn't sound too weirded out. She quickly added, "That's cool. I always wanted a more unique name. I'm Kim."

"Kim," Eleven nodded, trying to see how the name sounded coming from her own mouth.

"I'm sorry about those idiots," Kim said, referring to Dustin and his friends. "They're just not used to having a pretty girl their own age around."

"Pretty?" Eleven asked, not thinking the word could apply to her.

"Yeah, pretty," Kim smiled. "I'm going to bring them back down, okay? If they scare you, just tell me and I'll kick them out of here again."