Chapter 41

Kim finally managed to rip her eyes from the glowing gash in the wall to look at Steve and Dustin

Kim finally managed to rip her eyes from the glowing gash in the wall to look at Steve and Dustin. "The gate," all three of them whispered in unison.

"We have to go," Kim said, letting go of Steve's hand to push the rest of the group back the way they had come.

"I don't understand," Robin stumbled a bit as Kim shoved her back into the room where Steve had knocked out the Russian guard. "You've seen this before?"

"Not exactly," Steve said, looking over his shoulder to make sure no one was following them.

"Then what, exactly?" Robin asked, wanting a real answer.

"All you need to know is it's bad," Kim said, hoping her friend would stop asking questions.

"It's really bad," Steve added.

"Like, end of the human race as we know it kind of bad," Dustin continued, probably not helping the situation and fuelling the questions in Robin and Erica's minds.

"And you three know about this, how?" Robin questioned.

Erica looked around the room before she asked, "Um, Steve? Where's your Russina friend?"

Steve looked down just as red lights and alarm bells started to ring out. "Shit," he muttered, rushing to the small window in the door. "Shit!" he repeated a bit louder when he saw the large group of Russian soldiers rushing towards them. He grabbed Kim's hand and started dragging her towards the lab with the gate again. The group of scientists all looked up as Steve flung open the door to the computer part of the lab.

Kim forced a smile and waved awkwardly. "Hi. Uh, h-how's are you guys doing today?"

"Just go!" Erica yelled, pushing the older girl forward. "They're nerdy scientists, they can't hurt us!"

As the group ran down the stairs and closer to the gate, Kim felt her heart rate pick up. Breaking into gas stations and fighting demogorgons had been one thing, but this was definitely worse.

They came to a halt next to the laser, realising they had nowhere left to run. The blue light coming off of the laser illuminated Kim's pale, terrified face. Steve squeezed her hand reassuringly — he would protect her no matter what it cost him. He looked around for any means of escape before seeing a small staircase at the edge of the platform they were on. "This way!" he called.

Ignoring Steve's protests, Kim ran in front of him, punching a Russian guard in the face that was waiting to apprehend them. While Robin, Dustin, and Erica ran into a different room, Steve and Kim did everything they could to delay the Russians. They knocked over crates, and threw punches, but they couldn't hold the them off forever.

Knowing she wouldn't keep running unless he forced her too, Steve picked Kim up and carried her into the room the rest of their friends had taken refuge in. Before setting Kim down, Steve threw all of his weight against the door that had just closed behind him. The dark haired girl quickly climbed out of Steve's arms before also forcing the door shut with her body. Realizing that the two couldn't keep it shut on their own, Robin rushed over to help them.

"Come on!" Dustin yelled as Erica climbed into the air duct in the room.

"Go!" Steve yelled at him. "Just get out of here! Just go and get some help, okay?"

Dustin looked at his older sister for conformation. She nodded, a silent 'i love you' and 'thanks for being the best sibling in the world' passing between them.

"What are you doing?" Steve shouted at Dustin, still trying to keep the door shut.

"I won't forget you!" Dustin yelled ducking into the air vent after Erica.

"Go!" the three older teens yelled, knowing they couldn't keep the door closed for much longer.

Kim put every ounce of strength she had into keeping the door closed, but it was no use. The Russians forced their way in, sending Kim, Steve, and Robin sprawling onto the floor. At the sight of the many guns pointed at them, the teens raised their hands in surrender.

•••••

"Who do you work for?" the old Russian man asked. He was in a soldier-like uniform, but Kim didn't know enough about Russian military to know if he was a general or not.

The situation was probably very serious, but Kim burst out laughing. "You think I'm responsible enough for a job? Thanks a good one!"

The Russian man smiled, but it was the type of smile that sent a shiver down your spine. "You're a funny girl, yes?"

Kim fought back her fear. "Well, I'd like to think I am."

"Well, funny girl, how did you get in here?" the man asked.

Kim's eyes darted between the man speaking to her and the silent, muscular man in the corner. If she didn't answer the questions the way she was supposed to, it was almost guaranteed that the muscular man would do something to hurt her. She decided it was best to tell something close to the truth than to flat out lie. "My friends and I found your elevator. Th-they work in the mall and when their delivery didn't come in when it was supposed to, we all went to look for it. That's how we found the elevator. Next thing I know we're plummeting halfway to hell. We walked down that long ass hallway hoping there would be a way out, but we found this place instead."

The older man studied her for a minute. "Does anybody know you're down here?"

"No," Kim said quickly, adjusting her restrained hands so she was a bit more comfortable. "We found this place by accident. We're just stupid kids, I swear!"

The man nodded slowly. "The sailor man, he seemed very stupid."

Kim glupped, realizing now that if her story didn't line up with both Steve and Robin's they'd all be screwed. "Y-you could just let us go. We won't tell anyone, I promise. We'll just forget that this whole thing ever happened."

"Forget?" the man asked. The way he said it reminded Kim of when Eleven was learning a new word. "I'll ask you again. Who do you work for?"

"We've been over this," Kim rolled her eyes. The two Russian men exchanged a nod, the more muscular one stepping towards her. Kim tried to back away, but she was already against the wall. The muscular man's fist hit her right in the stomach and she doubled over, groaning in pain. She wanted to lash out, find some way to defend herself, but with her hands constricted behind her back, she had to just sit there and take the beating.

A.N
hi guys! thank you so much for the 5k reads and all the votes! Also some how i'm number three in steve harrington? so that's exciting. anyway, love you all so much and i hope you're enjoying the story!