Chapter 40

The quintet crept down the hallway, all on high alert now that they were so close to the Russian base

"How much further?" Erica whined.

"I don't know," Kim rolled her eyes. "It's not like we have a map of this place or anything. But we have to be close if Dustin's walky talky started working."

"Exactly," Dustin nodded. "We have to be in range-"
Steve held his hand up for slinence, hearing something coming their way. He looked around and spotted one of the small, red, Russian carts. Eye's wide, he shoved his friends behind a stack of crates so they were out of sight. He held Kim close to his chest, able to feel her body heat through his Scoops Ahoy uniform. He poked his head out from behind the crates and let out a relieved sigh when he found the hallway was empty again. "All clear, come on, let's go."

"Okay, that was close," Robin said, her body still tensed up with fear.

"Too close," Dustin agreed.

"Relax," Steve told them. "Alright? Nobody saw- woah."

The rest of the group came up behind him, their jaws dropping. They had finally made it to the Russian base, but it wasn't at all what they had been expecting. Kim had expected maybe a few guys here and there, not the hundreds of armed guards and scientists that roamed the underground facility.

"Shit," Kim whispered, pulling the group behind a different stack of crates.

"Red Dawn," Dustin muttered.

"I saw it," Erica said. "First floor, northwest."

"Saw what?' Steve asked the little girl.

"The comms room!" Erica exclaimed, wondering how she was the youngest of the group and yet somehow the one with the most brain cells.

"You saw the comms room?" Kim asked peering around the box to try and see it as well.

"Correct," Erica nodded as Steve pulled Kim back down, not wanting her to be spotted.

"Are you sure?' Dustin asked the girl.

"Positive," Erica nodded. "The door was open for a second, and I saw a bunch of lights and machines and shit in there."

Kim leaned her head back against the large boxes they had taken refuge behind. "That could be a hundred different things."

"I'll take those odds," Robin said.

Steve sighed, shaking his head. He hated this plan they were coming up with but he knew it was their only chance of ever seeing the light of day again. "Alright. We're gonna move fast, we're gonna stay low. Okay?"

"Got it, make as much noise as possible," Kim smirked, just wanting to piss him off.

Steve rolled his eyes as they started to creep around again. "If we get caught, I'm blaming you, Kimmy."