Chapter 20

Dustin and Kim knocked on the front door of the Wheeler house, hoping that either Nancy or Mike would be home to help us with their little Demogorgon problem

"Your line has been busy for over two house, Mr. Wheeler," Kim said once the door swung open. "Do you realize this?"

"Oh, I do realize," Mr. Wheeler replied.

"Is Mike home?" Dustin asked.

"No," Mr. Wheeler shook his head.

"No?" Dustin asked, furrowing her eyebrows. "Well, where the hell is he?"

"Karen, where's our son?" Mr. Wheeler called back into the house. There was a muffled reply before Mr. Wheeler turned back to us and said, "Will's."

Kim sighed, exchanging a look with her brother. "No one's picking up there. Nance, what about Nancy?"

"Karen, where's Nancy?" Mr. Wheeler asked his wife. There was another muffled reply before Mr. Wheeler said, "Ally's. Our children don't live here anymore. You didn't know that?"

"Seriously?" Kim rolled her eyes.

"Am I done here?" Mr. Wheeler asked, a bored expression on his face.

"Son of a bitch," Dustin muttered. "You're really no help at all, you know that?"

"Hey! Language!" Mr. Wheeler called as Kim and Dustin walked away.

"What the hell are we gonna do now?" Kim asked. "We need someone else's help otherwise that damn thing in the storm cellar is gonna eat us."

Steve's car pulled up in front of the Wheeler house and a smile spread across Dustin's face. "I think we found just the right idiot to help us."

Kim groaned as she followed her brother over to the boy with a large bouquet of roses.

"Steve!" Dustin called to him, practically having to drag his sister behind him. "Are those for Mr. or Mrs. Wheeler?"

He looked down at the flowers in confusion. "No."

"Good," Dustin said, ripping the flowers out of his hand and starting for Steve's car.

"Hey! What the hell?" Steve protested. "Hey!"

"Nance isn't home," Kim told him, sliding into Steve's passenger seat.

"Where is she?" Steve asked.

"I don't know," Kim shrugged. "It doesn't matter. We have bigger problems than your pathetic love life."

"You two still have your bats?" Dustin asked.

"Bats?" Steve asked, super confused by their weird behavior. "What bats?"

Dustin couldn't help but roll his eyes. "The ones with the nails?"

"Why?" Steve asked, his eyes still on Kim who had put her feet up on the dash as she always did.