Chapter 65

Once everyone had woken up, Kim explained in a rush about the Creel house and how it was connected to what Max had seen

Once everyone had woken up, Kim explained in a rush about the Creel house and how it was connected to what Max had seen. Without too many questions, the group piled into Nancy's car and drove to the abandoned Creel house.

"I think we should all go around and say our favorite song, just to be safe," Kim suggested, talking a million miles a minute like she always did when she was stressed. "Mine's Tear it Up by Queen. Oh or Heartbreaker by Pat Benatar, she's so cool. But Edge of Seventeen is also a really good song but so is–"

"Okay, we don't need the Kimberly Henderson top 40," Dustin cut her off.

"Don't You Want Me by Human League's probably still my favorite song," Steve said, glancing over at Kim.

Her stomach twisted. She had almost forgotten about their little middle school theme song, but clearly Steve hadn't.

"Wow, thank you so much, Steve," Dustin rolled his eyes, not sensing the tension. He turned his attention to the front of the car. "How much further?"

Nancy took a deep breath and put on a fake smile, trying not to reach into the back and strangle him. "Just a few more minutes, Dustin."

Robin checked the map from the passenger seat, tracing the road with her finger. "Yeah it's, like, two more miles."

Nancy's car finally pulled to a stop. The once pristine blue house was now old and decrepit, the house on the street that kids dared each other to run up to the front porch and back. The lawn was overgrown, tree branches had started to wrap around the warped wood rails, and the windows were boarded up. It was a haunted house from horror movies, the kind of house families got murdered in.

"Yeah, that's not creepy," Steve muttered sarcastically.

Nancy and Steve quickly got to work prying the plywood off the front door.

"What exactly are we supposed to be looking for in this shithole?" Steve asked her.

"We're not sure," Nancy said, pulling out one of the nails with the back of her hammer. "We just know this house is important to Vecna."

"Because Max saw it in Vecna's red soup mind world?" Steve asked.

"Yeah, basically," Kim answered.

"Maybe it holds a clue to where Vecna is," Dustin guessed. "Why he's back. Why he killed the Creels. And how to stop him before he comes back for Max."

"We don't think he's in here, do we?" Lucas asked nervously.

"Guess we'll find out," Max said, her bravery shocking everyone.

Steve and Nancy finally managed to get the plywood off, but now there was the challenge of the locked front door.

"Should I knock? See if anybody's home?" Steve joked.