Chapter 14

The three friends sat on the couch, bandaging up each other's cut open hands

"Did you hear that?" Nancy asked as she finished tying off the gauze on Jonathan's hand.

"It's just the wind," he reassured her, their hands still resting against each other. "Don't worry, my mom, she said the lights speak when it comes."

"Speak?" Kim asked, not understanding what he meant or how the hell lights could talk.

"Blink," Jonathan clarified. "Think of them as alarms."

"At least we'll have a heads up," Kim sighed, looking down at her bandaged hand.

There was a loud knock at the door that made all of them jump. "Jonathan!" Steve's voice calls from the other side of the door. "Are you there, man? It's me, Steve! Listen, I just want to talk!"

"Stay here," Kim said, getting up and walking over to the front door of the Byers' house. "Steve listen to me."

"Hey, Kimmy, what-?" he started to ask.

"You need to leave," Kim said harshly.

"I'm not trying to start anything, okay?" Steve said, trying to push the door open.

Kim wedged her foot behind the door so it would be harder for him to get past her. "I don't care about that. You need to leave."

"No, no, no," Steve protested. "Listen, I messed up, okay? I messed up. Really, please. I just want to make things right. Okay, please jut-" he cut off as his eyes fell on her bandaged hand, blood already leaking through it. "Hey, w-what happened to your hand? Is that blood?"

She wrenched her hand out of his grasp and hid it in her pocket. "It's nothing. It was an accident."

"Wait, what's going on?" Steve asked worriedly.

"Nothing," Kim said, trying to close the door in his face.

"Wait a sec, did Jonathan do this to you?" Steve asked, trying harder to get past her. "Is Nancy in there? Are you guys okay?"

"We're fine, Steve," Kim said, putting all of her strength into closing the door. "Everything's okay."

"Kim, just let me in!" he exclaimed, finally stumbling past her into the room. He looked around in shock at the Christmas lights, the blood on the carpet, and the two bats with nails sticking out of them.

"Steve, no! No!" Kim yelled, trying to push him back out the door.

"You need to get out of here!" Jonathan said, getting off the couch and trying to help Kim get him to the door.

"Whoa, what is all-?" Steve started to ask.

"Listen to me," Jonathan said harshly. "I'm not asking you, I'm telling you, get out of here!"