Chapter 28

"Am I dreaming, or is that you, Harrington?" Billy asked, stepping out of his car

"Yeah, it's me. Don't cream your pants," Steve replied, Kim and the kids watching from the living room window.

"What are you doing here, amigo?" Billy asked, slamming his car door.

"I could ask you the same thing," Steve said, walking closer to the other teen. "Amigo," he added, probably not knowing what the word meant but wanting to sound cool.

"Looking for my stepsister," Billy said, a cigarette between his lips. "A little birdie told me she was here."

Steve shrugged. "Huh, that's weird. I don't know her."

"Small? Redhead? Bit of a bitch," Billy described.

"Doesn't ring a bell," Steve lied. "Sorry buddy."

Billy took the cigarette out of his mouth and crushed it under his boot. "You know, this whole situation, Harrington, I don't know. It's giving me the heebie-jeebies."

"Oh, yeah? Why's that?"

"My thirteen year old sister goes missing all day and then I find her with you in a stranger's house. And you lie to me about it."

Steve chuckled. "Man, were you dropped too much as a child, or what? I don't know what you don't understand about what I just said. She's not here."

"Then who's that?" Billy asked, pointing at the window.

Kim quickly forced all of the kid's heads down, muttering out profanities at having been spotted.

Outside, Billy shoved Steve to the ground, knocking the wind out of the dark haired boy. Kim rushed to the door, ready to face Billy even if she knew she wouldn't win. He flung open the door and grabbed her by the hair. "And to think, I thought you weren't a total bitch." He slammed her head against the wall. Kim saw stars float before her eyes as she tried to steady herself. "Well, well, well," Billy said, his eyes leaving Kim and going to his step sister and her friends. "Lucas Sinclair. What a surprise. I thought I told you to stay away from him, Max."

"Billy, go away," Max warned, trying not to let her voice waver.

"You disobeyed me, and you know what happens when you disobey me. I break things," Billy lunged out at Lucas, slamming him against the wall.

"Kimmy? Kimmy!" Steve called, waving his hand in front of the girl's face.

"Woah, dude," Kim slurred. "There's like three of you." She reached behind her head and watched as blood dripped from her fingers onto the carpet.

"Oh, god. Are you okay?' Steve asked. "What did he do to you?"

"Lucas," Kim mumbled, not totally aware of what she was saying. "Go help Lucas."

Steve bit his lip, still super worried, but nodded and went to go save Lucas.

"You so dead, Sinclair!" Billy yelled at the younger boy. "You're dead."